Laney Cub12R speaker upgrade

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Laney Cub12R speaker upgrade

Postby dale01487ITSME » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi everyone, I'm looking to purchase a Laney Cub12R for a clean modern Hank sound, the demos I've heard are either distortion orientated or very harsh sounding. I'm sure it's a good amp but I can't help thinking a replacement speaker may make it a little softer sounding, any recommendations? Many years ago I have the Laney LC15 with the Roger's EF86 upgrade, wish I still had it!!
dale01487ITSME

Re: Laney Cub12R speaker upgrade

Postby alanbakewell » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:40 pm

Dale, shelve the Laney idea and try the Boss Katana in whatever version you fancy. I have the 100 watt single speaker version. The sound is very similar to my hand wired AC 15. And...?I can lift it easily. I don't know where you are but if you're near to me in Staffordshire you're welcome to come and and have a play through it.

Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby Tony Szpala » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Dale

I agree with Alan on this. I've got the 50 watt version which is brilliant, at an amazing price of £189-00. The range of tones is remarkable.
It's very light to carry and has changed a lot of people's perceptions on transistorised amps via valve amps.

Best wishes

Tony
Tony Szpala

Location: Ripley, Derbyshire email address: tony.szpala@hotmail.com
Full Real Name: Tony Szpala

Postby dale01487ITSME » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:40 pm

Really? Bloody hell! Oh right, I'm in Cambridghire so not local to you I'm afraid, really the Boss Katana? I've always been a valve nut! I'm open to your valued views though!
dale01487ITSME

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:02 am

dale01487ITSME wrote:Really? Bloody hell! Oh right, I'm in Cambridghire so not local to you I'm afraid, really the Boss Katana? I've always been a valve nut! I'm open to your valued views though!

Hi Dale, I am a valve nut in as much as I own two Vox AC30s, two Mesa Boogie DC-5s, Pinnacle 30, Mesa Boogie MkIII, Peavey Delta Blues and guess what ? They are all stood in my studio because I bought the Boss Katana 50 which sounds as good and is easy to carry. I never, ever thought that I would see this day . . . . :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby cockroach » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:22 am

I've been a voice in the wilderness for years, having used transistor amps since the mid '70's...they aren't that bad! :D

Try one at least...please! :)
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby dale01487ITSME » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:01 am

Ok guys thank you, I've no way of trying one locally but I think I'm sold!
dale01487ITSME

Postby dale01487ITSME » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 am

Boss Katana 50w now ordered, thanks to all for your valued advice!
dale01487ITSME

Postby dale01487ITSME » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi, I've now purchased the Katana 50w and although I can see it has potential, at the moment anyway, I'm a little underwhelmed in terms of trying to achieve Hank's modern sound. I was pretty sucessful with the Fender SuperChamp X2 but I sent that back in favour of the Boss.

I've successfully installed Tone Editor and imported 'Sneaky Amps' but I'm at a loss as to how I import other effects and particularly the parametric equalizer. Any ideas gents?
dale01487ITSME

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:33 pm

dale01487ITSME wrote:Hi, I've now purchased the Katana 50w and although I can see it has potential, at the moment anyway, I'm a little underwhelmed in terms of trying to achieve Hank's modern sound. I was pretty sucessful with the Fender SuperChamp X2 but I sent that back in favour of the Boss.

I've successfully installed Tone Editor and imported 'Sneaky Amps' but I'm at a loss as to how I import other effects and particularly the parametric equalizer. Any ideas gents?

I use the CLEAN amp setting with the gain at 12-o-clock and volume full on. Treble bass and mid are at 12-o-clock and the three effects knobs are off. I use the 25 watt setting and the master volume for overall loudness. I vary the three tone controls to get the vintage sound by turning off the bass altogether and increasing the mid to full on, treble to taste.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Next

Return to Gear