Matchless SC Mini

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Matchless SC Mini

Postby dale01487ITSME » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi, has anyone experience of this amp? The Matchless SC Mini, it appears to have all the correct spec for Hank's modern tone?

It has a single ended output transformer using only one EL84/6BQ5 tube, thus making the SC Mini a true “Class A” amplifier.
With a 5AR4/GZ34 tube rectifier, one EL84, one EF86, and one 12AX7 the SC-Mini has the same classic tone and feel as the C-30 industry standard, simply scaled down in size and volume.

https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/matchle ... lectronics
dale01487ITSME

Re: Matchless SC Mini

Postby paulgshaw » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:06 am

Hi...I've played through this amp and it is a nice bit of kit...It does have the DC30 sound...I owned one of those as well but got rid eventually as I couldn't pick it up any longer....

The SC Mini is built to a less manpower intensive design, but not necessarily any worse sound wise, than the top end models...PC board circuitry....no problem if it is well designed....my Bogner Duende is PCB and it sounds superb..

""The Mini, which will most likely be called the SC-Mini is an 8 Watt Combo. It’s powered by a 5AR4/GZ34 Rectifier tube. The output is a single EL84/6BQ5 which is cathode self biased and is true Class A with a single ended output transformer.

The PreAmp input is an EF86/6267 with a 6 position rotary switch sweeping from thin to fat in tone. The Phase Inverter is run by a single 12AX7/ECC83. The speaker inside is a single 10″ Celestion Greenback. The cabinet is made of Poplar, which is a lighter and more ambient sounding wood instead of the more dense birch ply.

The circuits will be made with a PC board but with many of the same components found in our larger amps. Essentially this is a small Class A recording amp based off of Channel 2 of the DC30, SC30, and HC30 series.""

I'd buy one...if I needed anymore amps!

Cheers, Paul....
paulgshaw

Full Real Name: ....................

Re: Matchless SC Mini

Postby dale01487ITSME » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi Paul and thank you for your detailed response! Yes I have been considering one for a while but I will be considering for a little while longer having just bought 2 other amps which for the time being are doing a brilliant job of getting Hank's tone.
dale01487ITSME

Return to Gear