My Kinda Life

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

My Kinda Life

Postby drakula63 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:41 am

I wonder if this is THE guitar that Cliff is messing around with in this video from 1977...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8O4ho8pJdc
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: My Kinda Life

Postby Derek Mowbray » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:14 pm

It could well be the guitar that Cliff got for Hank in 1959 ,I believe it was sprayed white at one time. Bruce had it restored to it`s original condition . I have often wondered if a guitar is worth more in a original state or restored.
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:23 pm

The most valuable guitars are those left in their original state, no matter how battered, dented etc. Next come those that have been restored to the original state, with correct parts and in the correct colour.

Next come the 'refins' - guitars that have been refinished in the wrong colour, or not done very well - which is why many people buy refins, it's a cheap way of getting hold of an instrument that hasn't been altered too much.

At the bottom of the heap are those that have been comprehensively butchered - routed for humbuckers, had Floyd Roses (or should that be Floyds Rose?) fitted, pickups/circuitry changed etc. Even so, miracles can be performed these days and given enough time and patience, these poor unfortunates can be returned to their former glory. At a price, of course. Does the increase in value justify the money spent? And of course, sentimental value is something else entirely!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby drakula63 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:17 pm

My feelings are that 34346 would come under the category of a 'refin' - as I am only aware that it has been repainted a couple of times or so. If so, I wonder if the original 'flamingo red' / 'Salmon pink' (or whatever!) coat is under there somewhere? I'm sure this guitar, due to its incredible provenance must be worth a fortune. And I'd bet that Bruce has kept it in really good nick.

Here's a thread I found elsewhere on the 'net...

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/hank-marvi ... cs.263101/
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby dave robinson » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:13 pm

I'd say 90% yes it is 34346 because it is clearly a fifties model looking at the maple neck and headstock, also the gold hardware. In 1977 there were no 're-issues' available from Fender, in fact it was Tokai who brought all of this to being with their amazing copies of the vintage Fenders in the early eighties'. Squier followed suit but weren't as good as Tokai at that time, though ones from that period fetch big money today. Both Alan Jones & Mark Griffiths played Squiers' with The Shadows. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Return to Gear