Burns Bison Ultrasound

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Bison Ultrasound

Postby dave robinson » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:05 am

I just had to report on this great guitar that I bought a few days ago, out of curiosity more that anything.
It's the new Burns Bison Ultrasound with the three big P90/Jazzmaster like pickups, which did as I had hoped offer different sounds to the Strat, although it does a good impression of an old Strat too.
There are two Strat like switches for pickup selection, one is the usual five way that you'd find on a Strat, but the other one is a three way, giving you position 1 = normal mode, position 2 = fatter, more mellow sound, position 3 = Wild Dog which has a lot of bass rolled off and is a very distinct vintage Burns tone. It also has the 'pull out' tone control on the bridge pick up tone control which brings in the neck pick up when the bridge is selected, a bit Telecaster sounding.
The trem works great, very smooth and remains in tune, better than my Marvin and the Marquee, i don't know why they didn't use this years ago.
All in all it's a very versatile guitar, I played all the Shads favourites, some Gary Moore (Parisienne Walkways) and the sustain was endless - a bit of rockabilly, Duane Eddy and a little country plus a lot more, finding that it covered everything we do, which normally requires a Strat & a Gibson or Gretsch. As big as it is I was never uncomfortable using it stood for an hour, the action is superb and it balances well. The amazing thing is the price, in trans-orange, brand new it cost me £300.
I mention this here because before I tried one in a music shop, I imagined it would be an awkward lump to play, but I did try one and was pleasantly surprised, thus my purchase. Recommended ! :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Burns Bison Ultrasound

Postby anniv 63 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:15 am

Assume this Bison Model might also reproduce The Honeycombs mid 60s sound,
i.e.that trebly jangle on the lead and rythm circuits?
I have always liked the purely instrumental tracks they did like Music Train, Goldfinger,
Hurricane etc, which can be viewed on You Tube

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby dave robinson » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:39 am

Yes indeed Mike, that's the sound I was describing on the 'Wild Dog' setting, the typical Burns sound.
The great thing here is that there are three distict options of tone with the three way switch. On some of the older Burns guitars, this was achieved using the rotary switch but Burns have simplified it by using the Strat type switch.
I have played all the stuff I use in our shows and the Ultrasound covers all genres. It's a lot of guitar for very little money. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby anniv 63 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks for that info Dave, does seem indeed to be a versatile guitar
for the price range and value for money.
Might purchase one if Music Train and Hurricane were ever to appear as B/Ts!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby Rover » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi, there is a clip on you tube with two American guys demoing this very guitar. It certainly looks good and sounds great . It shows you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a good guitar.
regards, Rover
Rover

Full Real Name: Roger Dyball

Postby dave robinson » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:22 pm

I don't think I have seen the American guys, in fact the ones I have seen do nothing for the guitar at all, which is why I took the trouble to test drive one. I do feel that no one ever covers our genre of music on the guitar demos and if there were some good ones, I'm certain that some guitars would sell more. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Rover » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi, not sure how to get the You Tube link from here, but if you type in Burns Bison Ultrasound , it comes up straightaway. Interesting clip.
regards Rover
Rover

Full Real Name: Roger Dyball

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:14 am

Rover wrote:Hi, not sure how to get the You Tube link from here, but if you type in Burns Bison Ultrasound , it comes up straightaway. Interesting clip.
regards Rover

Here it is

If you can get all the Shadows sounds on this as well, it sounds like a very good idea indeed!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby dave robinson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:28 am

OK I've seen it now.
My experience described above was far better than what is shown here, which to be honest wouldn't have sold me that guitar. I recommend folks try the guitar themselves in order to appreciate what it's capabilities are. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby George Geddes » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:32 pm

And our own Howard Gillespie doing the demo!!

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Return to Gear