Your First Guitar!

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Your First Guitar!

Postby scmitche » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:37 pm

nivramarvin wrote:
Wg1963HoyerAusschnitt.jpg
My Hoyer (about 1963) which I unfortunately sold at that time (I was young and needed the money).

My first guitar was very similar to the Hoyer being a German Musima Ambassador, sunburst with carved solid pine top, solid flamed maple sides and carved back with a floating neck pickup stamped Hofner which had a sliding volume control on the surface of the pickup. I remember it had tape wound strings which cut my hand quite badly when one decided to unwrap itself! My Mother bought it for me 2nd hand in 1959 at Wood's music shop in Bradford but I found it so hard to play as a 12 year old due to a combination of the bulky neck and small hands. I still have it to this day but don't get much chance to play it, it still sounds nice though when I do. I really wanted a Hofner Club 40 but that would have meant the extra expense of an amplifier!
scmitche

Full Real Name: Steve Mitchell

Re: Your First Guitar!

Postby Tigerdaisy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:12 pm

My first 'guitar' at age about 12 (in 1957) was a plastic guitar with four strings, my mother bought me for christmas from Gamages in London- it wasn't quite a toy as you could play it... but obviously had a pretty naff sound. After that an old acoustic at £2 bought in an arcade in Kingston, followed by something worse, a Watkins Rapier, from Bells in Surbiton which also sounded pretty naff compared to modern electrics- I also had a small Watkins amp. My first half decent guitar was a Hagstom Viking.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Previous

Return to Gear