New strat ?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New strat ?

Postby barryg » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:16 pm

Dave,

A Fender special run Strat available now based on the '56 model, maple neck, gold hardware, Fiesta red, a soft V neck, US '56 vintage pickups plus a pro series tweed case and you get the early Shadows sound from it. I have one so I know and it comes at a competitive price. It's almost a HM strat but without the name.

https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/fender- ... dware.html

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby cockroach » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:02 pm

Trojun wrote:I do like it but it's a bit battered, I'm just about to sell a Gibson which I rarely use so I might as well use the money for a strat which I would use a lot.
Dave

Why not get it refinished? Why buy another guitar?
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Trojun » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:36 pm

Thanks for all your advice and opinions, I like the look of the 56 special run strat, it's a possibility.
I suppose I could refinish my own strat, or even make one, I have made several in the past, but the old eyesight is not as good as it was.
I'm reluctant to alter it really, it's been played almost daily for the past 30 years, I think the poor things in shock, I only 'rediscovered' Shadows music over the past couple of years, before that it was thrashed to within an inch of it's life, it must think it's semi retired now.
A strat is certainly a versatile guitar. Hendrix to Hank.

Dave
Trojun

Full Real Name: Dave Corner

Postby Allclaphands » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:35 am

Hi Dave
Just had a punt and bought one just a while back it comes with a tweed case and at the price
a third of the price of a custom one and half the price of a vintage one it's a very good buy
but like any guitar it can be a gem or a dud depending on the persons skill and abilities in playing it.

Good luck in your choice
Pete
Some people like to ROCK, Some people like to ROLL, What do YOU like to do?
Allclaphands

Full Real Name: Peter Bryan

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 am

Yes I do agree that the neck is the most important part of the guitar. How it feels to you will affect how you play it, how often you want to play it, and how much you enjoy playing it! And as we're all different, this explains why some people swear by maple and won't touch anything else, and others are adamant that rosewood is better.

I personally prefer maple for the look, and rosewood for the feel. Never noticed any difference in the sound though.

(Stands back and wait for the flak.)
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby SJB » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi Chaps,

About 4 years ago I purchased a Mexican Deluxe 21 fret strat. (Vintage Noiseless Pickups - with the button). I get good feedback for the sound on numbers like Apache - F.B.I. etc.
But get even more good comments when playing things like Sleepwalk. This was my coming out of the bedroom into performing strat. (did not have one before)

Recently I found I needed the 22nd fret. (Mountains of the Moon - so I am told - not played it yet).

I am starting to do more general early rock songs now (Cliff - Roy Orbison - Clapton will be coming later). So I purchased a new Deluxe Roadhouse Strat. I wanted a spare with options.
This has the same pickups as the first Strat. This has the tone shaping pre-amp which can be switched out. The tone control works on all pickup selections.

The sound without the pre-amp is close to the first strat. But now I am ready for Mountains of the Moon. Also the cut away does make playing top frets easier.
Playing at the SCSC - the comments on the sound are very good.

Finally - I don't get noise!

I will always consider 22 frets for any new guitar. I know you can bend at 21 but its not the same.
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby Trojun » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Well, I ended up buying the limited run 50's strat, fiesta red with gold hardware, it even comes with Tweed hardcase. I must admit I'm impressed, the build quality is very good and apparently the pickups, pots and switch are the same as fitted to the American series. It just needs a little bit of fettling to get perfect, a couple of frets could do with a Polish at the top of the fretboard and a bit better set up but its just a minor thing.
My old Jap strat has a 12" radius 22 fret neck so this 7.25" is taking a bit of getting used to but overall I'm very happy with the new one. Just need a wound third on it then should be perfect.
Thanks for all the advice.
Dave
Trojun

Full Real Name: Dave Corner

Previous

Return to Gear