Best Fender Amps for Shadows Sounds

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Best Fender Amps for Shadows Sounds

Postby Sothall Mike » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 am

Tin Hat in Place, Anyone got any views or advise as to the best Fender Amps for Shadows Sound ? Valve, Solid State, Price and value for money.
I await all the comments with interest. The only experience I have with Fender Amps is once a month up at Wetherby, but not sue what it is, maybe a Fender Blues Junior ? Come on guy's don't be shy.
Sothall Mike

Full Real Name: Michael Kilner

Re: Best Fender Amps for Shadows Sounds

Postby JimN » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:45 pm

There's only one: the Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 Reissue.

Toneful enough to be relevant in any situation. Light enough to carry. Loud enough (at 22w) to matter.

And like Stella Artois, reassuringly expensive (current price at GAK / Andertons: £1400).

That's the Blackface '65 Reissue. Don't bother with the Silverface '68 Reissue. True, it's cheaper, but absolutely not a proper reissue, since it has cascaded channels, a different tone stack (borrowed from the Bassman of the same era) and simply isn't a genuine '68 type amp.

The 85w and 2x12" '65 Twin Reverb is hardly any dearer than the DRRI (at about £1650), but it is fearfully heavy and not recommended for that reason. I have had both of the '65 Reissues and sold the Twin because of the weight and transport problems. I still have my '65 Deluxe.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Tab » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi Mike,

below is a link showing me playing through what I think was a Fender De Luxe. It was supplied by the rehearsal room at Bonners Music Eastbourne ani I was messing around while everybody was setting up and one of the lads filmed it. Whatever the amp was (can't really see it from the video) I was impressed.

My advice would be to take your guitar/echo etc. to the shop and try the amps until you get the sound you are looking for.

Good luck with your search

https://www.facebook.com/groups/worldof ... y%20bryant

Scroll down to 'The Savage' clip
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby Tab » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:48 am

Hi Mike,

FYI I've just discovered that the amp I was using at the studio was a Fender Blues Junior

Kind regards
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby petercreasey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:47 am

Hi Mike,
I have a bit of a problem with the question here and for anyone to give advice would, in my opinion need more information from you.
I think that Fender offer a great range of amps to suit many situations, but to find the right one you need to think about what you are using it for, yes you are looking to get "that sound" ( whatever that is ) but do you want to use it at home, in a concert hall, for recording, what about how it looks on stage, is that important, are there any issues regarding the weight ( if like me 4 hernias along with other medical issues comes into play) and the list goes on and on, only you will know what will be on that list and until you have given that list a lot of thought will you be able to find the right amp for you.
I believe that advice given on forums can be very dangerous and can cause people to spend large amounts of money on the wrong item because of advice given without all the information. someone saying this is the best amp and others should not be considered can be taken in the wrong way. You need to base your decision on what YOU are looking for. It can very emotive when someone is very proud of their gear and to them it is the best, that doesn't mean that it is the best for you. The advice given earlier about trying different ones in shops is great, so is asking people to try theirs at clubs ;) be aware of what is on your list and make sure that your choice ticks all the boxes.
Spoken by someone who has listened to all the advice and recommendations and spent a bloody fortune on other peoples preferences
Take care
See you soon
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby neil2726 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:21 pm

It seems a lot depends on the player some can get "that sound" from any amp/echo others have all the right gear but cant come close!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby pjr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:13 pm

Mike, I've got a 65 Deluxe reissue here that's been in for repair if you want to listen to it.
It's probably coming up for sale soon too.

Pete
pjr

Full Real Name: Peter J Richardson

Postby Egelund » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:34 am

Hi Mike

I love the sound of a good Fender amp.
Though I have a JMI 15, which I use for Shadows live performance, I also use a Fender super sonic 22, and a Blues junior Limited edition.
If you look carefully, the blues junior has 2 EL84 and 3 12AX7 tubes.
This is perhaps closer to the vox sound.
Having a master volume. it will give you both clean and more driven sound.
Listen to the sound file.
Live with SWINGING BACK BEATS, I use the very small Blues junior ( 14 kg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tnx2hmfM5Y

Best regards
Niels
Egelund

Full Real Name: Niels Egelund faddersbøll

Postby dave robinson » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:12 pm

petercreasey wrote:Hi Mike,
I have a bit of a problem with the question here and for anyone to give advice would, in my opinion need more information from you.
I think that Fender offer a great range of amps to suit many situations, but to find the right one you need to think about what you are using it for, yes you are looking to get "that sound" ( whatever that is ) but do you want to use it at home, in a concert hall, for recording, what about how it looks on stage, is that important, are there any issues regarding the weight ( if like me 4 hernias along with other medical issues comes into play) and the list goes on and on, only you will know what will be on that list and until you have given that list a lot of thought will you be able to find the right amp for you.
I believe that advice given on forums can be very dangerous and can cause people to spend large amounts of money on the wrong item because of advice given without all the information. someone saying this is the best amp and others should not be considered can be taken in the wrong way. You need to base your decision on what YOU are looking for. It can very emotive when someone is very proud of their gear and to them it is the best, that doesn't mean that it is the best for you. The advice given earlier about trying different ones in shops is great, so is asking people to try theirs at clubs ;) be aware of what is on your list and make sure that your choice ticks all the boxes.
Spoken by someone who has listened to all the advice and recommendations and spent a bloody fortune on other peoples preferences
Take care
See you soon

Agreed 100% ! :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Egelund » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:02 pm

I think we all tried to help.
But different answer will only make the whole thing more complicated, that.s for sure.
So sorry if I have done that.

I will refrase my answer
So when you have decided for a amp, then try it with your guitar and effects.

And I think everyone will agree:'
Go for a good sound, without effects turned on, warm and rich.
Go for something easy to operate
Go for something easy to carry.

Niels
Egelund

Full Real Name: Niels Egelund faddersbøll

Next

Return to Gear