Zoom G3Xn For Use with EFTP

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Zoom G3Xn For Use with EFTP

Postby scouserjoe2 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a simple, versatile and inexpensive effects option now that my Alesis Q20 has finally given up the ghost. I am quite happy to go with the Zoom G3X loaded with EFTP which is fine for my needs, but I see the G3X had now been replaced by the G3Xn. I assume that the new version will still accept the EFTP system, but any experience either good or otherwise than anyone can share about using the G3Xn with EFTP would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Ian
scouserjoe2

Full Real Name: Ian Evans

Re: Zoom G3Xn For Use with EFTP

Postby Egelund » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi Ian

The echoes for Zoom G3-G3X and G5, can be bought from Ross Hall( son of Charlie Hall ) / https://www.hallsecho.com/
Unfortunately the new serie, G3N, can not be installed with these programmes, because of some software issue.
There is however other programmes to be found on the internet for the new series.

from my own experience, with almost every unit except the TVS3, I would say the Halls echo, are close, if not similar to the ones used in the Alesis units.
Among my own gear I have a zoom G3 and G5 with halls echoes.
The G3 is in my pedalboard, and has served me well for quite a few live jobs over the years.

For some reason the zoom G3 and G5, are always mentioned as a cheap solution, often with homemade echoes.
It is true that you for around 200 pounds can get the unit and echo programme, but the dna of the programme has a famous pedigree, and the zoom is a modern effectprocessor, 32 bit signal processing, with every modern facility, tuner-preamps-USB-XLR out.

Regards
Neils
Egelund

Full Real Name: Niels Egelund faddersbøll

Postby scouserjoe2 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi Neils,

Thanks for your advice. Indeed, the word I am getting now is that the new series of Zoom 'n' models will not work with EFTP. I shall make enquiries about other systems.

Cheers

Ian
scouserjoe2

Full Real Name: Ian Evans

Postby Egelund » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi Paul

I have quite a good contact with Ross Hall.
Like you I had the G3 first, and then bought a G5.
Perhaps a bit of a overkill, as I have other echo units as well.

Really the echoes are identical, and so is the size of the processor.
Only difference is, that Ross has added two more patches, none of great importance to me, and because of the G5 have space two more different effects in each echo programme, Ross has added Noise gate.

Another difference is that you can hold down two foot switches at the same time, and scroll though the programmes, , maybe not the easiest operation.
The G5 has a boost function with a tube in.
This works only for live work, not for recording.

You wont hear any difference when comparing the two machines.

Hope that you will be able to enjoy your playing, music most certainly makes you feel better, as well as the benefit of learning and remembering new songs.
I will find and send some samples to you

All the best
Niels
Egelund

Full Real Name: Niels Egelund faddersbøll

Postby Tigerdaisy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:33 am

Anyone familiar with the old G3 will find the new G3Xn much less intuitive to set up....you'll actually need to read the manual, however some of the patches are improved especially if you are into distortion etc. I wouldn't bother with EFTP as to me personally I found them too much, too much awash with effect, especially if you are not playing in a band environment, preferring to set my own- you can easily get a good and acceptable 'wonderful land' with the 'Delay' and 'Plate Reverb' patches.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby hemmes1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi, where can I revolt those patches. find.
Or are they not in the g3 or g5.
Greetings Tonnie.
hemmes1

Full Real Name: Tonnie Tijssen

Postby SJB » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:37 pm

The last post on this subject was March 2018.

Seems when you go on Ross Hall site - you can't email him to ask a question.

So as some time has now passed - and I think some people on this site can contact Ross - Is Ross in the process of setting up patches for the G3Xn ?
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Return to Gear