Celestion Alnico Blue

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Celestion Alnico Blue

Postby Gruntfuttock » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi! Can anyone suggest an alternative speaker (25 Watt and 8 ohms) to the Celestion Alnico Blue for Hanks sound?
Thanks in advance. Regards Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Re: Celestion Alnico Blue

Postby dave robinson » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:26 pm

I have a Vox AC30 TBX with blue speakers and also an AC30/4 with Jensen Alnicos.
The Jensens' equally match the blues.
Recently I wanted to go 'lighter' so I acquired a pair of Celestion Century Neo Dogs and put them together in a cabinet. These too sound equally as good as the blues, the amp I use with this set up is the new Vox 50w CLEAN micro amp and it does the business. I've had good Hank tones fron Celestion greenbacks too. The alternatives to Celestion blues used by JMI on the 50th Anniversary tour were speakers made by Tayden, but again very expensive and in any case I firmly believe it's to do with how you set up your guitar and amp that really matters, it's sll to do with tone and all amps have tone controls. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Gruntfuttock » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi Dave. Thanks very much for your valued input. I also use the Vox MV50 Clean and am very impressed with it! I can get a reasonable tone with the Celestion Vintage 30 but like so many others, I’m still striving for “That” sound.
Thanks again. Dave
Gruntfuttock

Postby dave robinson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:18 am

The Celestion Vintage 30 is not best known for getting THAT SOUND. There lies the problem.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Gruntfuttock » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi Dave. Yes, I realised that but it was a speaker and cabinet I had from way back. That’s why I’m looking for advice for a replacement speaker.
I’m waiting for the delivery of the Kinman Impersonator 54 V5 and am hoping that will also make a difference. (I’m currently using an older version of the Impersonators.
Regards Dave
Gruntfuttock

Postby Gruntfuttock » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi Dave. Could you let me know the actual model number of the Jensen speakers that you have used, or are you able to recommend a particular Jensen speaker for Hanks early 60's tone? I would appreciate any info!! As a matter of interest, you are the only person who replied from to any of my posts on three Guitar related web sites.
Thanks again!! Regards Dave
Gruntfuttock

Postby dave robinson » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:46 pm

The Jensen speaker of which I speak and highly recommend is the P12N, finished green with a bell type cover, identical in looks to the Celestion Blue. I just checked the prices though, they are almost the same price as the blues @ £175.
The problem today with Celestion Blues is that their are British made ones, but there are Chinese copies too.
I can also recommend the Eminence 'Texas Heat' at £75 ish. I have one in my Mesa Boogie and get a great early Hank sound from that too.
The firm I look at first for speakers is 'Lean Business', then I check out 'Hot Rox' in Nottingham. If you are lucky you could find something on eBay at the right price. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Gruntfuttock » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi Dave. Thanks so much for your reply - that really is very helpful. I read very good reviews re the P12N and will go for that model.
Before living in Japan I lived in China for five years, so my Vintage 30 is the Chinese one. I don’t think it’s a copy as it’s made under licence. However I’d much prefer a Jensen which I think is made in Italy.
Dave - thanks again for your reply the info is very helpful!
Regards Dave
Gruntfuttock

Postby Gruntfuttock » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi (Dave Robinson)
In April you recommended the Jensen P12N speaker. I ordered one from America and it really is a great speaker. I’ve only played one gig in a very small venue so the speaker is not yet broken in. I get great early Shads tones and am very pleased with my purchase. Yes, it’s expensive but I think you get what you pay for.
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys etc. !!!
Thanks again
Dave Redknap
Gruntfuttock

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:07 am

I'm pleased that it did the job Dave. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Return to Gear