Speaker Choice?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Speaker Choice?

Postby dyker124 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi Dave,

I've only just installed it and my initial reaction is that it is much darker than the stock Fender (Eminence) speaker. I straight away needed to increase the treble control and back-off the bass etc. I am going to compare it as far as possible with the Pro Junior I have with the Weber 10F150 in it. I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards
Roger
dyker124

Full Real Name: Roger John Dyke

Postby dave robinson » Fri May 18, 2018 9:20 pm

On a Fender Blues Jr that's not a bad thing as the one I had sounded far too toppy. I didn't bother changing speakers as I had other options with different amps so I just moved it on. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dyker124 » Sat May 19, 2018 11:25 am

Just a little update.

I’ve just spent about an half an hour or so at home with the Pro Junior and the Blues Junior alongside, comparing the two. As mentioned previously the Pro Junior is fitted with a Weber 10F150 speaker and the Blues Junior a new Eminence Cannabis Rex.

First impressions: No matter how I seem to adjust the controls of the Blues Junior I don’t seem to be able to get exactly the same sound as the Pro Junior (with my favourite Pro Junior setting). Don’t get me wrong, it is very, very close. It is either very slightly too toppy or slightly too bassy and I don’t seem to be able to get the in-between. The Cannabis Rex seems to be the other end of the scale to the stock Eminence Fender speaker which was I thought too bright. My gut feeling is that something in-between would be ideal but it’s probably me just being paranoid. I will know better in about a weeks time when I have a get-together with some other band members to play as a band in a small club room (about 30ft x 20ft). I’ll also have a chat with the other band members to see what they think and will report back then.

Regards
Roger
dyker124

Postby dyker124 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Hi All,

Just thought that I'd give you an update on the Fender Blues Junior with the Cannabis Rex speaker fitted.

Myself and seven other guys played in a smallish clubroom, to BT's for about 5 hours. The verdict by all was that the sound from the amplifier couldn't have been bettered. It was as loud as we wanted it to be, and the tone was brilliant. Exactly the sound I was hoping for. I did take my other amplifier along too just in case but it was definitely not needed. Incidentally we all use a clean sound (no distortion or pedals). I'm a very happy bunny.

Regards
Roger
dyker124

Previous

Return to Gear