Quoted Plectrum Thickness

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Quoted Plectrum Thickness

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:31 pm

I recently checked the thickness of several plectrums I have. I was surprised as to quoted thickness to what I measured them with Vernier calipers. I checked the calipers against a reliable measurement to ensure it was reading correctly.

Here is quoted v actual for some I have

George Dennis quoted 1.3mm - actual 1.14mm - Hanks often used modern day pick.

Gibson
Heavy none quoted but are 0.9mm
ExHeavy none quoted but are 1,14mm
Medium none quoted but are 0.66mm

Fender
Thin none quoted but are 0.48mm
Medium none quoted but are 0.7mm
Heavy none quoted but are 0.96mm
ExHeavy none quoted but are 1.14mm

Dunlop Tortex Sharp
1.14 quoted but are 1.1mm

Dunlop Delrin500
1.14 quoted 1.14 measured.

The trend for many picks is thinner than quoted.

I have often preferred a ex heavy pick and it seems many are around 1.14 similar to the George Dennis Sharps I measured.

Hope you find this useful .

Roger. :ugeek:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: Quoted Plectrum Thickness

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:14 pm

I took some stills from some early videos of HBM playing the early tunes around 1961 and managed to get shots of the plectrums and how he held them. They were shaped like the Burt Weedon type and in one shot at least he used a corner of the normally held part to play. I have some modern day ones off the well known auction site and these measured 0.9mm for info. I tried listening to them compared to the Gibson and Fender Heavy and ex Heavy ones and they sounded similar with my ear going for the ex heavy Gibson's pick.

I believe the Burt Weedon type being smaller means you hold nearer to pick point and therefore are slightly stiffer due to less material to bend between tip and held position.
roger bayliss

Postby RogerCook » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:14 pm

I favour the Jim Dunlop Jazz III which they quote as 1.38mm. I've measured mine at 1.36. I think Hank may have moved to these from the George Denis picks.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Would appear the Dunlop ones are closest to actual quoted thickness as a few I have were in reasonable tolerance
roger bayliss

Postby kipper » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:40 pm

I think when you get to the stage of pick measuring you need to get out more. ps only joking ps (or not) :-D :crazy: :thumbup:
peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:06 am

kipper wrote:I think when you get to the stage of pick measuring you need to get out more. ps only joking ps (or not) :-D :crazy: :thumbup:
peter

I know you have to get out more.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RayL » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:09 am

I'm with Roger. It's only by checking things and not taking claims for granted (in all walks of life) that keeps manufacturers on their toes and prevents complacency.

If we're talking plectrums, what about rhythm playing? If Bruce had the range of plecs that we have today, what would he have chosen to record The Savage? On those up-down-up strokes a Dunlop 0.38 (white, the thinnest they do) offers least resistance. In our Joe Meek band, The Triumphs, it's my choice for Johnny Remember Me, which has a similar rhythm and tempo to The Savage.

And Roger is quite right, the Dunlop plecs come very close to their quoted thickness (or in the case of the 0.38, should that be quoted thinness?)
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Return to Gear