What Headphones ?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: What Headphones ?

Postby RayL » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:01 am

Jim,
I'm sure you'll be pleased with the ATH50X.

A feature that you will notice is that they are more sensitive than cheaper headphones. In other words, you won't need to turn up the volume control so far to get a pleasing level for listening. Cheaper headphones often need the volume control to be set at maximum, which can lead the headphone amplifier to distort.

Try listening to Flingle Bunt with your new headphones. Brian's bass drum gains a whole new character with that extended frequency response - there is a rumble there that is very characteristic of the period, unlike the click/thud which came in a few years later when the technique was to take the front skin off and put the mic inside the drum. The rumble isn't loud, it's just there, where it isn't on cheaper headphones.
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby jimuc » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:44 am

RayL wrote:Jim,
I'm sure you'll be pleased with the ATH50X.

A feature that you will notice is that they are more sensitive than cheaper headphones. In other words, you won't need to turn up the volume control so far to get a pleasing level for listening. Cheaper headphones often need the volume control to be set at maximum, which can lead the headphone amplifier to distort.

Try listening to Flingle Bunt with your new headphones. Brian's bass drum gains a whole new character with that extended frequency response - there is a rumble there that is very characteristic of the period, unlike the click/thud which came in a few years later when the technique was to take the front skin off and put the mic inside the drum. The rumble isn't loud, it's just there, where it isn't on cheaper headphones.
Ray

Thanks for the advice Ray, I always recon it is better to listen to someone who has "hands on" experience of a product.

Will let you know how I get on

Cheers Jim
Never nail a door shut that you may want to go back through
jimuc

Full Real Name: Jim Dunlop

Postby jimuc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:17 pm

My Audio Technica ATH50X headphones arrived last week and I have now tried them in all various scenarios.

I would have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone, the sound quality is excellent both in recorded material and in a "live" situation.

Many thanks to Ray L for helping me make up my mind.

Cheers Jim.
Never nail a door shut that you may want to go back through
jimuc

Full Real Name: Jim Dunlop

Postby negninegaw » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:01 pm

I understand that these are 'closed' headphones.
I prefer open ones, so that I can hear someone talking to me.
Any recommendations?
negninegaw

Full Real Name: Van Wageningen

Postby Jetblack56 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:54 pm

I use SENNHEISER 650, Wonderful phones.

Stephano
Jetblack56

Full Real Name: Stephan Sanseverino

Previous

Return to Gear