What Headphones ?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

What Headphones ?

Postby jimuc » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi All,

Need some advice on new headphones.

I have been playing through a mixer with headphones for privacy but unfortunately my current phones have given up the ghost.

What headphones are members using to give best response and sound quality (don't want to pay crazy money though)

Thanks in advance Jim
Never nail a door shut that you may want to go back through
jimuc

Full Real Name: Jim Dunlop

Re: What Headphones ?

Postby artyman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:02 am

I use some Shure SRH 240A am well pleased with them
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby RayL » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:55 am

What is 'crazy money' ? More than £50? More than £100? More than £500?

Buying headphones is rather like buying a bottle of wine. With cheap wine you are mostly paying for the glass, the transportation and the profits of the grower, the wholesaler and the retailer. The wine inside the bottle is only a tiny fraction of the cost.

It's the same with headphones. The driver inside can only be a tiny fraction of the manufacturer's cost if you are paying, say, £25.

What you get with more expensive headphones are features like extended frequency response. Another octave at the low end. A lack of harshness at the high end. They are 'flat' through their frequency range so that you hear the music as it was originally mixed. Many 'not-so-expensive' headphones have artificial frequency responses so that they sound good with drum'n'bass or grime and similar music but they make Shadows recordings sound very odd.

A recommendation? Without paying too much money, I have been very happy with Audio Technica ATH50, which Studiospares are currently selling for £125.
https://www.studiospares.com/Headphones ... 447940.htm.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby LONGPLAYER09 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:04 pm

I remember going back to the 70's & buying Wharfdale isodynamic phones, which were good at the time. The ear pads are now long disintegrated!
I recently brought a pair of Electrotops Denoise wireless type. These sound fine to me (i'm now at an age where top range can't be heard!) They have provision to fit a jack lead if required, and a charging socket. Switching to bluetooth gives the option of being mobile without the dangling lead.
mick
LONGPLAYER09

Full Real Name: Mick Annis

Postby TimRyland » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:45 pm

I use Audio-Technica M30X. For the price, free with my Guitarist subscription, I certainly can’t complain. However, they are pretty good, and I would certainly consider buying them if this pair got damaged.

Tim.
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Avoid the ones with enhanced Bass response I find they are awful.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby jimuc » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:04 am

Hi Ken, Ray, Mick and Tim,
Many thanks for your replies and advice. I think I am going to go for Audio Technica. Or maybe settle for the bottle of wine instead !!! :lol: :lol:
Cheers Jim
jimuc

Postby jimuc » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:13 am

Roger,
I bought a set of Panasonic with XBS (expanded bass) and as you say they were awful, as though the treble was rolled back and the bass full on, muddy or what!!!.
They went straight back, that was when I decided to seek advice from the members here.
Cheers Jim
jimuc

Postby bazmusicman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:43 am

I use 'Bose Quite Comfort' for the most natural sound. My son in law got me some of those 'Dr Beat' headphones...bl**dy awful ....thump - thump - thump with Bass, they went straight back to the shop!!
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby jimuc » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:00 pm

bazmusicman wrote:I use 'Bose Quite Comfort' for the most natural sound. My son in law got me some of those 'Dr Beat' headphones...bl**dy awful ....thump - thump - thump with Bass, they went straight back to the shop!!

Thanks Barry, I don't know what the obsession is with heavy bass nowadays. (Maybe we are just getting older)
I ordered a set of Audio Technica ATH50X's this morning.
Cheers Jm
jimuc

Next

Return to Gear