The New Fender 'Player series'

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The New Fender 'Player series'

Postby RUSSET » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:50 pm

Know what you mean. I really must get rid of about four guitars now. I have a Washburn Goldtop with coil-tapped P90s, a Fret-King Eclat with P90s, & a Fiesta Red Classic series Jaguar that I don't really play any more.
Your Les Paul sounds nice. I don't blame you for getting something else for a change. My 'change' last year was an Epi 339 .
It has coil-tapped humbuckers & is quite a versatile instrument, & quite lightweight too.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby dave robinson » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:46 am

RUSSET wrote:Know what you mean. I really must get rid of about four guitars now. I have a Washburn Goldtop with coil-tapped P90s, a Fret-King Eclat with P90s, & a Fiesta Red Classic series Jaguar that I don't really play any more.
Your Les Paul sounds nice. I don't blame you for getting something else for a change. My 'change' last year was an Epi 339 .
It has coil-tapped humbuckers & is quite a versatile instrument, & quite lightweight too.

Tony.

Yes indeed I like the 339 too and was thinking about the possibilities, I must try to resist. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby bor64 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Dave I know the feeling....resisting GAS...a hard task. ;)
I'm trying to resist a Epiphone Riviera Custom P93 WR Limited...3 P90's and a bigsby on a ES.... :mrgreen:
But SWAMBO said 6 new strats and a Jazzmaster...is enough! :cry:
I told her...but dear ....5 are low budget ones and one I build myself from scrats with spare parts I've already in my collection for dogs years!!
The Jazzmaster is a Revelation one and was also silly money....
Not this year my luv!!! :roll:

Well bring on the new year!! :angel:

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby dave robinson » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:30 pm

bor64 wrote:Dave I know the feeling....resisting GAS...a hard task. ;)
I'm trying to resist a Epiphone Riviera Custom P93 WR Limited...3 P90's and a bigsby on a ES.... :mrgreen:
But SWAMBO said 6 new strats and a Jazzmaster...is enough! :cry:
I told her...but dear ....5 are low budget ones and one I build myself from scrats with spare parts I've already in my collection for dogs years!!
The Jazzmaster is a Revelation one and was also silly money....
Not this year my luv!!! :roll:

Well bring on the new year!! :angel:

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob, I had the Epiphone Riviera that you speak of and sold it after two months as it was disappointing for me sound wise.
The three P90s look great but don't sound great.
I now have a Vintage brand copy of an ES-335 having sold my Gibson one and it is superb. It's the VSA535 model. I fitted a Stestsbar trem to it, but am getting a licensed Bigsby as it looks better. These Vintage instruments are excellent, for very little money. Those Humbuckers by Trevor Wilkinson are fantastic, as he went to see Seth Lover who designed the originals and learned how to make them. They sound as good as the BareKnuckle Mules that I have on my ES-345. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby RUSSET » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:54 pm

Great Jazzmaster - style guitars from 'Revelation', with sensible Strat type Trem bridges. And, at reasonable prices too.

I have an Epi Les Paul Standard which is about 12 years old now. I had to replace the selector switch, & also decided the stock pickups were too powerful (for me), so I bought a pair of Wilkinson Vintage humbuckers, & bingo, it sounds like a proper LP now.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby bor64 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks Dave,

I saw just a picture on-line and it looks the biz!
But if you say, the P90's are a disappointment ....I take your word for it...and I give it a miss...
I must say the Wilkinson pickups are indeed great sounding ones...I've several single coils , humbuckers and P90's/Jazzmaster types...
The Entwistle X90 Ceramic "Jazzmaster" pu's on my new Revelation RVJT in combination with the rotary switch are sounding the knees bees.
Vintage is hard to find here....sparsely distributed in stores.
But I will look into it...the next year ;) to keep SWAMBO happy :mrgreen:

Hi Tony,
The strat trem on the Revelation RVJT is a life saver....because the original Jazzmaster type on my pre-production 61 Bass VI is a dragon to deal with sometimes.

I have a few Epi's too, a Les Paul,a Joe Pass with Golden B7 Bigsby and a B45 ish acoustic, fine guitars!

Cheers Rob
Last edited by bor64 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bor64

Postby dave robinson » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:40 am

bor64 wrote:Thanks Dave,

I saw just a picture on-line and it looks the biz!
But if you say, the P90's are a disappointment ....I take your word for it...and I give it a miss...
I must say the Wilkinson pickups are indeed great sounding ones...I've several single coils , humbuckers and P90's/Jazzmaster types...
The Entwistle X90 Ceramic "Jazzmaster" pu's on my new Revelation RVJT in combination with the rotary switch are sounding the knees bees.
Vintage is hard to find here....sparsely distributed in stores.
But I will look into it...the next year ;) to get the SWAMBO happy :mrgreen:

Hi Tony,
The strat trem on the Revelation RVJT is a life saver....because the original Jazzmaster type on my pre-production 61 Bass VI is a dragon to deal with sometimes.

I have a few Epi's too, a Les Paul,a Joe Pass with Golden B7 Bigsby and a B45 ish acoustic, fine guitars!

Cheers Rob

I bought mine on seeing the pictures too Rob, it isn’t a nice feeling guitar either, though it looks great.
I also sold my Gibson SG Standard replaced it with a Vintage SG exactly the same - £50 on eBay, the only downside is that it’s black, but at fifty quid I’ll live with it, plays and sounds better because I never liked those Gibson 480R & 490T humbuckers (I think that’s what they are called), the Vintage sound more like a real SG should, plenty of bite but nice and creamy too. Those new style Gibson Humbuckers are aimed at distortion merchants.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:59 pm

Had another play with one of the new ‘Player’ series guitars and I prefer my Classic Player on this comparison.
That said I picked up another USA Fender Strat AVRI series from Keith Mantle and it blows them all away by a country mile.
I don’t know what it is about these guitars, but they are absolutely stunning, in appearance, playability and sound. Mind you, these are the fore-runner of the Custom Shop models so no surprise at the quality, as they at at a higher level . :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby RUSSET » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:15 pm

I bought a Fender Reissue '64 Tele (I think that was the model) about three years ago, & I was amazed at the sound of it. It was Nitro lacquer & came with a bridge cover & a very nice hardcase, & all the stuff that they give you inside. And .... it was in Fiesta Red, with a Rosewood board. It certainly has that unique Fender tone from the '60s, & I have no regrets about buying it. It really jangles out nice chords.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby bor64 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 pm

Well...Dave I added two Wilkinson humbuckers to my collection.
I told SWAMBO these humbuckers although second hand,where packed very well .... some plastic surrounds them , the two separated by some wood and in tweed covered case :mrgreen: ....
She said that's a nice packaging, I like it already were they expensive? Nope just above €100,- ;)
When I showed her the Wilkinsons... she said "you bu**er you've bought a other guitar"!
Well it's a other year so.... already for my upcoming birthday and it was cheap dear ;)
So I own now a ES335 type HB-35 pro with Wilkinson vintage splitcoil humbuckers, vintage sunburst tigerstripe top, block inlay rosewood neck, Shaller straplocks with tweed case...case candy a padded strap, Dunlop (one hand) Capo and 212 bottleneck and a Fender Customshop 18ft lead.
All in brand new condition !!
All above together except the guitar is already above €100,- so I got a free guitar my dear :mrgreen:
So after dusting off, a setup including fret polish and a new set of strings...I'm happy as Larry :D

Cheers Rob
bor64

PreviousNext

Return to Gear