Pardon me while I adjust my truss (now then!)

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Pardon me while I adjust my truss (now then!)

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:31 pm

I have a 1979 Strat on which the neck tilt, when I first bought it, resolutely refused to work! On removing the neck I discovered a huge run of lacquer in the pocket; once I'd got rid of that, all was fine.

Late '70s Fender quality control had a lot to answer for when it came to faulty neck tilt mechanisms. Theoretically, they are a good idea.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Re: Pardon me while I adjust my truss (now then!)

Postby JimN » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Uncle Fiesta wrote:Late '70s Fender quality control had a lot to answer for when it came to faulty neck tilt mechanisms. Theoretically, they are a good idea.

There was no reason to discontinue the "Tilt-Nek", though it was swept away with the unlamented three-bolt neck-fixing and the shield-shaped three-bolt neck-plate when the i970s designs were dropped for the "USA Standard" range in 1982.

Tilt-Nek would work just as well with four-bolt fixing and a rectangular neck-plate.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Previous

Return to Gear