Impulse Responses Speaker Emulation etc.

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Impulse Responses Speaker Emulation etc.

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:53 pm

I have recently gotton into Impulse Response Technology and gear that makes use of it. I started off by searching for a great, but inexpensive speaker emulation pedal. I wanted one because my Wampler Thirty Something pedal did not have speaker emulation built in, but was a great pedal for the AC30 sound.

I came across IR and the Mooer Radar Speaker emulation pedal on YouTube demos and also found out that Celestion had done lots of IR for their speakers including the Blues and under a variety of miked up scenarios.

The IRs are essentially a .wav file with the response sound of say a speaker setup reacting to a sound sent through the setup and recorded. You can get say a Greenback Miked centre cone etc and import it into a piece of gear that uses IR.

So I got the Celestion Blue IR pack and put them in the Mooer Radar pedal. I built a new pedal board utilising a Way Huge Rhino Tubescreamer, into Stanly eTap, into Wampler 30 something , into Mooer Radar.

I tried it out on the headphone Jack on the Mooer Radar and got a cracking Shadows sound. I settled on the Celestion Blue single speaker open back cab bright sound out of what I had. The tone controls on the Wampler 30 something act like a real AC30TB with cut control. There is also a AC15 type of sound.

The Mooer Radar comes with speaker and microphone sim , power amp sim eg EL84 , and EQ section with graphic and parametric adjustments.

Just using the eTap , Wampler and Mooer Radar gives a great sound. If I use the rhino tubescreamer pedal with gain off, but boosting with volume it adds something else to the sound and the Rhino has a knob to adjust bass 100hz frequency which when cut to 9 o clock makes a great Shadows sound .

I can take this pedal board anywhere and plug into pa and get the sound and it's quite small and light. Another lightweight solution for that sound for sure.

There are other pedals out there that use IR including Line6 Helix topend floor and rack units. IR tech is used for amp sim as well I believe. I think the pros are keen on the Two Notes Torpedo for amp sim but its 3 to 4 times the price of the Mooer.

Definitely something you will come across as guitarists so if you have not heard of IR, hopefully now you will know a little about it. You can get lots of Impulse Resonses for free on the internet and they can also be used in your favourite DAW.

Hope you find this interesting.

Ps I also have the popular ACTONE pedal by Joyo which has speaker emulation built in which is very good, but the new system is better in my opinion.

Also the Mooer comes with AC30 AC15 emulation built in but they are not as good as the Celestion IRs IMO.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: Impulse Responses Speaker Emulation etc.

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:03 pm

roger bayliss

Re: Impulse Responses Speaker Emulation etc.

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:20 pm

I have used the Mooer Radar a bit more now and tried the pedal board through several amps and a pa setup. Results were very good to my ears. As previously stated there is an headphone Jack for quiet practice too.

The Mooer Radar has an eq section which is very good including graphic and parametric eq both with high and low cut filters. The frequency and gain and q values are all variable and shaping the sound is easy. So it has speaker emulation, power amp emulation , and eq all in one small pedal.

I looked at the spec on the two notes CAB pedal and that has similar features but is 3 to 4 times more costly, but it's the one the pros tend to go with.
roger bayliss

Return to Gear