Sitting on the amplifier fence.

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Sitting on the amplifier fence.

Postby David Martin » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:05 pm

Vincent wrote:Sitting on the fence...? I sat on the fence regarding Katana amps and I've come down against buying one despite everything written on here and all the hype on the internet. I tried the 50 w twice in the same shop and though I couldn't download voicings/sounds there, what I detected was the harsh 'synthetic' tone typical of other digital solid state amps and that certain 'raspiness in overdrive, not to mention the loud buzz when you unplug. These are a re working of amps they've done in the past -clearly more versatile'; I've already have Roland amp. I've seen people say these new ones they sound miles better ,more 'analogue' or 'tube like' and even that the 12" speaker is an 'acoustic speaker. ' Either I'm not hearing right or some people's eardrums have taken a bashing by too many gigs!
If you crank them up live surrounded by other noise then they'll sound good and Roland are very dependable, but I think the benchmark for quality sound is still analogue, with or without valves and they've not come up with anything that behaves like a valve. . All these amps have one thing in common; they emulate or profile classic valve amps. That tells you everything...

I suspect you were using Version 2 software. Version 3 Katanas have the ability to lose the "spikey" edge of which you write....
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Previous

Return to Gear