New Zoom G1 Four Pedals

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New Zoom G1 Four Pedals

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:32 pm

Correct Stuart ,

One really great unit was the Yamaha Stomp which actually had multi tap delays and other delays which could be configured as series or parallel. If the Zoom is series design it means the echos add together and so a compromise has to be done to get a reasonable result by reducing echo levels and using ears. These days I use the Stanley Baby Blue as at £150 it is the best and cheapest option and fits nicely on the pedal board. That's about the cost of these Zoom units and you get correct echos fir Shadows music. I still own a Zoom G3X and an Hall and Collins though. I also have Eccas eTapH2 but find the Stanley Baby Blue is perfect for my pedal board.

I do not understand why effects manufacturers do not consider it to be a great idea to put 4 to 6 tape delays in a multi head config and allow users to specify levels and timings surely it's a straight forward thing to offer?
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby TimRyland » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:08 pm

Roger,

Probably because there’s only a minority interest in groups that use multi-tap echoes. Most modern players tend to use Digital Delay types.

I think it’s a reflection that the music we love, and love to play, is gradually fading away so no commercial gain to be made by manufacturers. Sad, but probably true.

Interestingly enough, as my Zoom RFX-2000 is playing up I recently started looking to replace it. The Baby Blue looks good, but a Washing Machine breakdown put paid to a replacement. So I programmed the echoes I need into ToneStack on my iPad by copying the timings from my RFX. It has a 5-tap delay, and by using a A/B set-up, feedback can be applied to the relevant tap. It won’t satisfy the purists, but it sounds OK to me and it cost nothing, plus the only things in my music room now is my iPad. No amps, no effects, no wires everywhere.

Tim.
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Postby dave robinson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:04 am

TimRyland wrote:Roger,

Probably because there’s only a minority interest in groups that use multi-tap echoes. Most modern players tend to use Digital Delay types.

I think it’s a reflection that the music we love, and love to play, is gradually fading away so no commercial gain to be made by manufacturers. Sad, but probably true.

Interestingly enough, as my Zoom RFX-2000 is playing up I recently started looking to replace it. The Baby Blue looks good, but a Washing Machine breakdown put paid to a replacement. So I programmed the echoes I need into ToneStack on my iPad by copying the timings from my RFX. It has a 5-tap delay, and by using a A/B set-up, feedback can be applied to the relevant tap. It won’t satisfy the purists, but it sounds OK to me and it cost nothing, plus the only things in my music room now is my iPad. No amps, no effects, no wires everywhere.

Tim.

I agree about using the iPad at home, though I have used my MacBook with Logic to replicate those echoes for over ten years now.
They are fully editable and sound as good as anything I have, including the Hall & Collins, Zooms, Klempt Echolette, Etap, Binson Pedal, the lot . . . . :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Ian Miller » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:42 pm

Here’s another demo without backing that I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQn-JGJ ... ture=share

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby Ian Miller » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:55 pm

There’s a few more Shadows type demos demos from Echopedaler here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8nYrm ... ZUuTtKqAdg

Nice playing too.

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Previous

Return to Gear