Triumph Leo amp

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Triumph Leo amp

Postby FanofJapan » Thu May 30, 2019 2:05 am

For gritty blues amp I love to use my Triumph Leo amp. Great sweet spot when turned up to 7, I believe one may have been used to record a later Shadows album, but I'm 100% on that.
FanofJapan

Re: Triumph Leo amp

Postby Stu's Dad » Thu May 30, 2019 9:11 pm

FanofJapan wrote:For gritty blues amp I love to use my Triumph Leo amp. Great sweet spot when turned up to 7, I believe one may have been used to record a later Shadows album, but I'm 100% on that.

I just Googled them Steve, and found some messages saying they were great sounding amps with serious safety issues. Has yours been upgraded to modern safety standards?

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby FanofJapan » Thu May 30, 2019 10:59 pm

Stu's Dad wrote:
FanofJapan wrote:For gritty blues amp I love to use my Triumph Leo amp. Great sweet spot when turned up to 7, I believe one may have been used to record a later Shadows album, but I'm 100% on that.

I just Googled them Steve, and found some messages saying they were great sounding amps with serious safety issues. Has yours been upgraded to modern safety standards?

Len
Stu's Dad wrote:

Len

Hi Yes, mine was fortunately refurbed before I bought it. And the safety issues were rectified. The amp was apparently made by the same guys who made amps for Vox, along with Jennings etc.

It's a great amp and is a fantastic amp for when the wife goes out, not ultra loud but enough to wake the neighbours! It's a lovely unique sounding amp and as you would expect a bit of Vox in there too.
FanofJapan

Postby JimN » Fri May 31, 2019 12:39 am

FanofJapan wrote:The [Triumph] amp was apparently made by the same guys who made amps for Vox, along with Jennings etc.

Triumph certainly did some work for Jennings in turning out sub-assemblies and other components for the AC50 and AC100. However, Jennings Musical Industries didn't "make amps for Vox". They owned and so were Vox (and made the important amps themselves, albeit with some parts of the work contracted out).

Triumph made a range of transistor amps under their own name after the demise of JMI in the very late sixties.They weren't a hit and were discontinued pronto.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby FanofJapan » Fri May 31, 2019 11:49 am

Mines all valve and I love it!
FanofJapan

Return to Gear