Surge Protection

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Surge Protection

Postby petercreasey » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:38 pm

With the type of equipment used these days what are folks views on putting surge protection devices in the power supply.
I’d be interested in comments
Take care
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Re: Surge Protection

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:21 pm

I always do, purely because one is never certain how stable a gig venue’s power supply may be. But I don’t know whether I have thereby avoided disaster!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby RogerCook » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 am

I use a mains noise filter that also includes surge protection. I built it myself from an internet design and I think it is called (something like, at least) the David Simple White Box Filter. It's built into a 2 gang mains socket. If I can find it again I'll post details. I built it specifically because my MagicStomp kept picking up a loud thump as beer etc coolers in a bar turned on and off.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby petercreasey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:59 am

Thanks for your replies, my reason for the question is that so many pieces of equipment that we use have very delicate wiring and tiny parts, microchips etc. and it only takes an electrical storm or, as happened to me recently a sudden power cut off and then sudden return of power to affect the equipment. having done a little research on the subject lately I have added both surge protection and and RCD to my power supply.
I thought it worth a discussion to bring this to peoples attention.
Take care
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby abstamaria » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:02 am

With the sometimes erratic electricity supply in islands, I have been using a voltage regulator. What I have waits a bit after power resumes before sending current to the amps.

By the way, another problem is static electricity. I blew out the display on an expensive echo machine when static from my finger flew to the device. There is no preventive for that! Maybe one shouldn’t wear rubber-soled shoes.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby Didier » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:53 am

abstamaria wrote:With the sometimes erratic electricity supply in islands, I have been using a voltage regulator. What I have waits a bit after power resumes before sending current to the amps.

By the way, another problem is static electricity. I blew out the display on an expensive echo machine when static from my finger flew to the device. There is no preventive for that! Maybe one shouldn’t wear rubber-soled shoes.

Andy

You might also wear a steel chain leaning on the ground ! :D

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby abstamaria » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:22 pm

I was thinking if that, Didier. Like a petrol lorry. Or a punk rocker.

I’ve been using a foot pedal to operate the echo unit and taken to touching a steel rack before touching a guitar. Static somehow builds up quickly sometimes.

I hope you’ve been keeping well

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby nivramarvin » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Must have been in the 70s. Poor grounding when performing in a weekend house somewhere in Bavaria: I accidentally touched the metal housing of my Dynacord echo with the protruding ends of the strings of my guitar. There was a bang, and the string had melted into small globules. I came away with the horror, amazingly ...
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby neil2726 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 am

A sudden power cut and then it coming back on sounds like the dreaded sound meters! :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Return to Gear