which amp

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

which amp

Postby ovation553 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:09 pm

hello again
I need some advice about amps...present amp is Blackstar tvp 15 but slowly to my ears its not quite rite very harsh and a bit thin.borrowed my friends marshall valvestate 20watt amp and there is a bit of a difference a bit more mellow and a bit more body to the sound.Iknow marshall amps are not for shadows sound but its better than the Blackstar...using zoom g3x with both amps...so my question is which amp will give a more authentic sound....ac 30 I know but I cant afford that bad boy my thoughts are on the vox vt40x and the boss katana 50 any other ideas welcome

regards Charlie

just for interest has anybody ever used a marshall amp to get shadows sound???????
ovation553

Full Real Name: charlie wilson

Re: which amp

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:10 pm

I would try a few out at your local store m8 , only you know what sound you want to hear. Valve amps tend to be warmer than dsp . Have you thought about using EQ to improve the sound?

For me only a Vox gives us the sound , but you can get near with other amps like Fender. It depends how close you want the sound to be to the record. The Vox top Boost is very bright , but needs EQ to tame it. Some understanding of the settings used by The Shads on Vox amps helps.

The thicker sound really comes from cutting the highs and lows and emphasising the mids more in my honest opinion. Maybe a little clean boost will fatten the tone too.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:13 pm

Also check the Zoom G3x is not using amp sims in the presets as they are notoriously thin sounding.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Stu's Dad » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:07 pm

Have you used the Blackstar Insider software? It has a Middle control that the amp doesn't, and believe me it makes a big difference. You wouldn't say it sounded thin with plenty of Mid.

If you still don't like it the Vox VT amps are really good for the tone you're after.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby Gruntfuttock » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:49 pm

Hi Charlie. I recently purchased a Katana 100W Head Amp and am very pleased with it. Using the Boss Tone Studio on your computer you can get you very close to a Shads sound. I have four settings: 1 Very early. 2.‘61/‘62. 3. ‘63. 4. Burns Era. I access these settings via the Roland GA-FC foot peddle.
I think these amps are very good value.
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby cockroach » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:36 am

ovation553 wrote:hello again
just for interest has anybody ever used a marshall amp to get shadows sound???????

Yes...I've used a Marshall transistor MG50DFX as my sole amp for gigging for 10 years...gives a good Shads type sound and the inbuilt echo/delay and reverb sound good too. My band features a number of guitar instrumentals - mainly Shadows plus others and the amp is versatile and simple, and easy enough to tweak on stage...no re-programming or tap searching for menus required etc..
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby jet690 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:36 am

Interesting reading Roger's advice but how to get the best from a AC30? I recently bought a new AC30CH head & 2 x 12 vox cab. I have tried the Normal channel which very little tone control, currently using low input on Top Boost but unsure whether I'm getting the best out of it or indeed missing something obvious? I have cut the Treble to 9am and Bass to 10am with the Tone Cut almost Off about 7am. As the Top Boost controls seem to be very reactive as opposed to just cut/boost - anyone any suggestions to get "the sound" Clean Shad type sound - no screaming heebejeebies!
jet690

Full Real Name: John Ashburn

Postby bazmusicman » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:46 am

jet690 wrote:Interesting reading Roger's advice but how to get the best from a AC30? I recently bought a new AC30CH head & 2 x 12 vox cab. I have tried the Normal channel which very little tone control, currently using low input on Top Boost but unsure whether I'm getting the best out of it or indeed missing something obvious? I have cut the Treble to 9am and Bass to 10am with the Tone Cut almost Off about 7am. As the Top Boost controls seem to be very reactive as opposed to just cut/boost - anyone any suggestions to get "the sound" Clean Shad type sound - no screaming heebejeebies!

To get the early Shads Sound on a top boost amp you need to turn the Bass and Treble fully off and use the Cut Control to suite. ( the cut control seems to work backwards, but really it does what it says, as you turn it up ie clockwise, it cuts the treble). If you have it at 7 o/clock you are not cutting the treble, hence the harshness you are getting.

Also you could use the Normal channel with the Cut Control for the early sound.

To get the later sound ie that nasal type sound, you need the Bass and Treble fully on and again use the Cut Control to suite.

This should get you in the general 'ball park' for the sound you are looking for + with a bit of tweeking of the controls.

Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby dave robinson » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:15 am

I discussed the use of the Vox AC30 with Hank himself when I met him in 1973. He told me that he always used the NORMAL channel and even showed me his amp backstage and pointed it out to me.
At the time he was working in cabaret with John Farrer at Baileys Club in Sheffield and his amp was a Vox AC30 Bass. I saw every show that week and his sound was 100% him as we know him. The echo machine ? A Watkins Shadow echo with two playback heads - go figure. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby jet690 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:54 am

Thanks Guy's for your advice. I'll give it a go!
jet690

Full Real Name: John Ashburn

Next

Return to Gear