Fender Vintage 57/62 Stratocaster Pickups

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Fender Vintage 57/62 Stratocaster Pickups

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:34 am

The design of the 57/62 was changed in 1998. Here's an explanation:

https://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... issue.html
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Uncle Fiesta wrote:The design of the 57/62 was changed in 1998. Here's an explanation:

https://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... issue.html

Good article and interesting to note that the original period of pickups the 57/62 claims to reflect were higher output of around 6k not 5.6k. I always felt the bridge pu was too thin sounding for me and relaced it with a Tonerider True Vintage bridge pu which improved the sound. The middle and neck were good though particularly the neck.

This is probably why on the latest Classic Player 50s strat, the pickups 57/62 have apparently changed spec with reverse wound middle pu and appears the DC resistance is higher and maybe more balanced. The bridge on the Classic player is definitely better output and not thin sounding and I like it a lot.I think the middle seems a little hotter as does the neck, but the tones needed for shads is right there.

I saw a forum post by a guitarist who seemed in the know and he said there were in fact 3 different variations on the 62 AVRI and the pu''s did not have the heavy levelling so obvious on the 57/62 pu's when they appeared on the 1998 incarnation.

That would explain why Dave has a different set of PU's in his 62 and that they are probably slightly higher output.

The bevelling from what I heard was done because it improves magnetic field density and tends to raise the trebles and bass notably.

Interesting discussion !
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:52 pm

negninegaw wrote:Thanks, I measured the pickups myself; they were not exactly the same: 6.04, 5.88 and 5.90. I put the 6.04 in the bridge position, assuming that Fender does not want them to be mounted in the same order as they were in the package.

It is true that these 57/62 pickups were set lower, as the special magnetic field of the original Strat Plus pickups allows them to be set pretty close to the strings. I used the recommendation of 2.4 mm on the bass side and 2.0mm on the treble side. Space between pole piece and underside of the string, while pressing the string onto the last fret.

I assume that when all pickups work properly with the 5 way switch, soldering mistakes are not likely, although I would like them to be the problem.

Those DC resistances based on what we have learned are nearer the 6k spec of the period than the 5.6k of the earlier 57/62 pickups Fender did. Would seem that Fender pu's around those years all tended to have roughly equal DC resistance give or take some.
roger bayliss

Postby chaddman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:23 pm

negninegaw wrote:Thanks for your interesting information. I replaced the original pickups of my '89 Strat plus with '57/62 ones and the sound is better.
Only thing is: I have to turn the volume much higher than with the previous pickups, which were also about
6 Ohms. I used to gig with the volume of my Deluxe reverb reissue on 4, now it seems that volume on 7 is necessary. Is this something familiar?
If not what could cause this?

Hi Van,
Just a thought on your low volume from these pickups. Have you tested the magnetic pull on the pole pieces with a screwdriver and checked it against other pickups. It could be that your new ones have been demagnetized by being close to a strong magnetic field IE speaker or the like. If this is the case you will need to re-magnetize them to get the volume back. I hope this helps.
Cheers Phil. :)
chaddman

Full Real Name: Phil Holmes

Postby dave robinson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Whatever the outcome here, I can say with confidence that all the USA made Fender AVRI Strats that I have known, two of which I can still play anytime I want because we own them, another being in the hands of Terry Clark to whom I sold it, then the one used by Colin Pryce Jones of The Rapiers, are the best I have ever heard for those early Shadows tunes by way of accuracy. All of these guitars were built almost thirty years ago, so whatever the pickups turn out to be, they are for me the best. You can compare and talk about different models of supposedly the same pick up, but no 57/62 set that I tried in the 2000s - and I had three sets - EVER compared to the original pickups on those guitars, as good as they are, though they were close.
Fender like to play around with things, probably for the sake of selling more products, but those original pickups on the early AVRI instruments have yet to be bettered by them, though the Sliders come very close and I'm sure there are other pick up manufacturers who have figured out the formula by now. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:47 pm

Here is a few comments from a forum where the guys seem to know a bit about the AVRI models 3 commentators views below.

Funkuncle says

They're all pretty great - just a matter of what specs suit you. Here's a guide to the neck shapes.

(1982-1984) 62AVRI - thinnest necks of all AVRIs, great builds, great pickups. Expensive due to rarity. (Not actually particularly vintage accurate neck shape)
(1985-1998) 62 AVRI - similar to above but neck becomes slightly wider, pickups change slightly (still called 57/62 pickups)
(1998-2012 62 AVRI - some period detail fixed like the 12th dot markers moved wider apart. Not huge changes.

(1982-1984) 57AVRI - thinnest V shape necks of all AVRIs, great builds, great pickups (same as 62). Expensive due to rarity.
(1985-2012) 57 AVRI - same type of changes as 62 above - becomes more vintage accurate after 1998

2013 brought in 56,59,65 American Vintage reissues. All are more vintage accurate in the small detail overall. They have their own pickups for each year rather than sharing one set like the 57/62

56 Vintage accurate chunky maple neck.

59 thinnest of new necks "D shape" but tapers wider around 12th fret than early 62 AVRI (slab rosewood or maple neck models with slightly different small details on each model as it was the transition year from maple to rosewood)

65 bit thicker "D shape"neck than 59 (Rosewood only)

Blue worm says

Funkuncle has it well summarized. Couple of things though :

The first series of AVRIs 57/62 actually has two periods :
- the "US RI" series from 1982 to 1998 came with 1st version of 57/62 pickups. Note that it is one common model ('57/62') used for both 57 and 62 reissues. This first version of pickups did not change between 1982 and 1998 (the only documented change is that some of the very first reissues came with red or grey bobbins (rare feature) but there is no evidence that the pick-ups spec were different to the more common black bobbins.
- the "AVRI" series (from 1998, discontinued 2012) is a revamped version of the previous. It includes some changes in design (more 'vintage accuracy') but also has a new version of 57/62 which is of a rather different construction.

Unlike the 57/62 series each 3 models of the new series introduced in 2012 have their own pick up design (56/59/65).

Totally bored on The gear page said

The newer set will still hum. You need to find a rwp middle pickup.

Older 57/62 are 6.1k 
Newer 57/62 are 5.65 k 

I have them both. I own a 94 and 2010 62 AVRI. Both are great sounding pickups but I don't like hum either so I replaced them with Dimarzio VV pickups.
roger bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:34 pm

Picture link for highly prized red bobbin 57/62 pickups note no chamfe these sell for around £650 roughly made at old Fullerton plant using old winding gear

There are grey bobbins as well and later black bobbins.

https://images.app.goo.gl/hGh2ZpT1cAVYu9H58
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:49 pm

So reading everything here, it appears that the pickups on our three AVRI Strats' do not have the same pole pieces, same wire or indeed the same bobbins as the after market Fender 57/62 model, making all of this nonsense.
I really must start going out more. :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Yes Dave must get out more LOL

In a nutshell the pu's on 62 and 57 AVRI strats before 2010 were wound hotter all around 6.1k and later than that 5.6k and had heavy levelling.

The ones made for a few years at the old Fullerton Plant are considered the best as wound on old machinery by staff. 1982 on.

The newer pu' s on the Classic Player 50s strat are like the 2010 pus except they are wound to about 6k. nearer to the original 57/62 spec prior to 2010 and 6.0k windings were about what pus had in early 60s and late 50s all pus same values mostly.

I'm done now :D
roger bayliss

Postby bor64 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:58 am

Blimey.....

Red and white bobbin, plain enamel windings all way off accurate .... they are made on a semi automatic machine (of the third generation so definitive not the same equipment as back then). :roll:
The only connection to the old days is the brand name and the neighbourhood it's made.... :shock:
But for some the holy grail....how low can you sink ? :lol:

For a third of the price they go for, you can buy a set hand-build and period accurate as it can be from different source/brands...

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

PreviousNext

Return to Gear