Tuning problem

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Tuning problem

Postby Shad1 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks Hugh, Dave & John,

Hugh, believe me, it doesn't matter if it sounds stupid - I'll try anything! Thanks again.

Dave, good advice - I'll be re-stringing it today and checking the tree and adding a lubricant.

John, I had a new nut fitted a year ago (because of a similar problem) and, while the short-term problem was resolved, it has now returned. I also changed the trem springs from 2 to 3 and that seemed at first to have made a dramatic improvement but, as before, the problem has returned.

I'm going to try to find time today to strip it down and check all nooks and crannies. I'll let you all know if I find anything but I'm going to swap the tuning pegs first and continue with a process of elimanation.

Grateful thanks to all who have helped.

Malc.
Shad1

Full Real Name: Malcolm C McEwan

Re: Tuning problem

Postby des mcneill » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:39 pm

Hi Stratmantd,
Reference my comment re. the neck stability on 70's Strats, I did not imply that this problem affected "all" 70's Strats,but I have seen it happen on examples where the neck was a poor fit in the neck pocket on the body. To get a stable neck I firmly believe it needs to be supported by the body as well as the screws. I have seen Strats with the best part of 1mm clearance around the joint and the neck could move,in this situation I don't think it would matter if it was 3 or 4 screws. I was recently offered a 75 Jaguar and its neck joint was like this and the neck moved.
Cheers,
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Previous

Return to Gear