Jet Harris/ Vox Soundcaster Guitar

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Jet Harris/ Vox Soundcaster Guitar

Postby anniv 63 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:38 pm

As George mentioned about Joe Moretti/ John McLaughlin, It seems strange that there appears
to be absolutely no promotional pictures of the Tony Meehan Combo that were ever taken or likewise.
Decca records used sometimes put out photo cards i.e. like Peter Jay/ Jaywalkers etc
Granted the band was only active from late 63 till spring 64 but nothing photowise?
Men of Mystery perhaps on Tony Meehan's instruction?

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby George Geddes » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:51 pm

There must have been a photo in the tour brochure... but perhaps it was just Tony.

I remember JimN and I having a discussion about the similarity between the lead guitar sound on both Scarlett and Song... leading us to the conclusion that the same guitar and thus guitarist played on both, namely Joe Moretti. Hadn't realised the link to Freddie and the Dreamers, though.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby JimN » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:49 pm

George Geddes wrote:I remember JimN and I having a discussion about the similarity between the lead guitar sound on both Scarlett and Song... leading us to the conclusion that the same guitar and thus guitarist played on both, namely Joe Moretti. Hadn't realised the link to Freddie and the Dreamers, though.

Samples of all three are strung together in this 3 megabyte file: https://clyp.it/bjqdyfjb

See what you think: all the same guitar and the same player?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Moderne » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:27 pm

Jim has mentioned this theory several times before - and I'm sure he's right! I still find it quite shocking that Diamonds is the only Jet/Tony hit that Jet played on. One can only imagine the lengths that 'management' went to at the time to conceal Jet's illness... And then there was the crash in Evesham; poor Jet!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby cockroach » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:50 pm

Moderne wrote:Jim has mentioned this theory several times before - and I'm sure he's right! I still find it quite shocking that Diamonds is the only Jet/Tony hit that Jet played on. One can only imagine the lengths that 'management' went to at the time to conceal Jet's illness... And then there was the crash in Evesham; poor Jet!

I'm sure I read that a number of Ventures tracks were recorded with session men because new releases were constantly required...but so was touring by the actual group..

Joe Moretti played the original lead guitar parts on Shakin' All Over, not Alan Caddy...but Joe was invited to do so by the group, who were mates of his, to earn him some sorely needed cash...

Jet was likely in no state to record at the time..the show must go on..

Needs must when the devil drives..in most cases the devil is money..if a big theatre star or team sports person is incapacitated, the stand-in or substitute is used..

Carl Perkins did the original Blue Suede Shoes, but before he could fully start touring to promote it, he had a car crash which put him out of action for months..Elvis quickly covered it...and had the big hit...Carl's career never fully recovered..
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby RayL » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:00 am

Do I dare contradict my good friend Jim?

Agreed that the two Jet tracks are played on the same guitar, but the F&TD guitar not only sounds subtly different, but the playing sounds more 'wooden'. It doesn't have the smoothness and playing technique of Joe Moretti.
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby cockroach » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:26 am

JimN wrote:
George Geddes wrote:I remember JimN and I having a discussion about the similarity between the lead guitar sound on both Scarlett and Song... leading us to the conclusion that the same guitar and thus guitarist played on both, namely Joe Moretti. Hadn't realised the link to Freddie and the Dreamers, though.

Samples of all three are strung together in this 3 megabyte file: https://clyp.it/bjqdyfjb

See what you think: all the same guitar and the same player?

I agree...I also thought all three guitar sounds sounded the same when I first heard those records in 1963/64..I thought it was a great exciting gutsy sound at the time! :)

More than likely as Joe Moretti played on the two instrumentals, he may also have played on Freddie's disc- although Freddie did have a competent lead player in his group then- Derek Quinn..

I think the difference in timbre is that on Scarlett and Mexico, there is reverb on the guitar, whereas on Freddie's recording, it sounds dry with no effects.

I would presume that the guitar on each recording is de-tuned by a full step BTW, but I wonder what guitar it was?
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby anniv 63 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:49 pm

Agree that Derek Quinn of the Dreamers was a competent guitarist. Somewhere I read that Big Jim
Sullivan assisted him in learning some of the solos in their repetoire. There is definitely a Chet Atkins
feel on tracks such as I Love you Baby and Over you . Also it cant be easy leaping in the air, clowning
about and trying to play guitar all at the same time!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Previous

Return to Gear