Echo Machines .. Can you really tell the difference ?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Echo Machines .. Can you really tell the difference ?

Postby phil kelly » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:28 pm

With Paul 100%, as he has kindly once again explained , there are far more factors than just echo repeats when trying to get somewhere close to Hanks old original sound, next to the original meazzi the TVS is the only machine that is on the ball, whilst I fully appreciate the cost may be an issue for some and that is totally understandable, but I stress not because I think it is not worth it, because I do, if you want the best you have to pay for it, the echo is the key to the sound, strat and amp are secondary, all the other gizmos are ok, but that is it, just ok, its all about choice, I appreciate that, but when I see people paying 1,000,s for custom built strats but wont do the same for an accurate echo such as the TVS is , well that says it all, any good strat for sensible money will deliver, when its played right of course, and all of hanks sound is about the way you play, period.
phil kelly

Full Real Name: phil kelly

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:41 pm

Didier wrote:
roger bayliss wrote:The VST system as far as I am aware usually uses the software version of eTap2 as I have tried it myself.

Chritian's VSTs software echoes aren't based on the eTap 2, but on close analysis of Hank's sound.

Didier

The echo plug-in for VST system used to be eTap2 as I have used the software myself a few years back. :D
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Tab » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:17 am

I agree, Phil. My TVS was worth every penny. Although the Q2 & Q20 were very good (next best in my opinion) they do not have the warmth of the TVS3. Once heard, there's no going back. The other variable in the sound equation is your confidence. If you're totally satisfied that you have the best sound possible, then your playing goes up a notch.

Having said all that, a friend has acquired a rebuilt original Meazzi and playing through that is an experience all of its own. It delivers that halo of quality heard on the first few notes of 'Spring Is Nearly Here' - Magic! Interestingly, we recently did a short set of those early hits and album tracks at a mini concert and used only one setting on the Meazzi. Although the echo patterns were not correct for some of the numbers the overall sound mightily impressed the players in the audience.

The TVS3, I would say, is better for gigging as it takes no time at all to change the settings, although with this echo unit, three or four patches are more than adequate and the sound is extremely close to the Meazzi.

I wonder, Paul, is it possible to build into the TVS that 'Spring Is Nearly Here' sound? It's almost an echoed distortion.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby Tone » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:22 pm

A couple of years ago a friend and I did an A/B comparison between his Meazzi and my TVS3. Obviously, we used the same guitar, amp and settings. Neither of us could tell any difference between them.

If your objective is to focus on finding the differences between different echo units you will be able to do so but even then I think much depends on how well your brain and ears are 'tuned' to what you're listening for. It's interesting to do such an exercise but if you just want to play and get a pleasing sound in the ball park then, as others have said, pretty well all the units known to us will do a good job.
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby Ian Miller » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:59 pm

Here you are Terry, this features the settings for ‘Spring’.

https://youtu.be/Mjefkludbqo

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby fenderplucker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:48 pm

Terry,

I presume that you have listened to Spring is Nearly Here on the TVS Juke box. Its an interesting one in that the distortion largely comes from having a fairly high echo level but a playing style that minimizes the initial attack so that there are hardly any obvious repeats. Only echo units that naturally distort the echo signal can properly reproduce the effect and the amount of distortion depends upon how hard they are driven. We used a moderate drive level for that recording since it seemed to match the original quite well, but could have gone higher for even greater effect. It just demonstrates that while such units can be used just as "plug and play", there are far greater possibilities if you experiment a bit to chase those subtle details.

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby Tab » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:01 pm

Thanks Ian and Paul. So what would be the three settings on the unit - 'Level' 'Echo Level' and 'Echo Duration'?
Tab

Postby fenderplucker » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:17 am

Hi Terry,

the settings will depend upon you guitar/strings and playing style, so I can't give any definitive answer. I suggest that you do a series of trials, increasing the level in moderate steps and adjusting the echo level each time to get the right sound. The duration will probably be OK around 4, but even that might need adjusting. Somewhere along the line you should hit the sweet spot and, as always, your ears are the best measuring instrument!

Please let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby dave robinson » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:46 pm

The problem for me with justifying the price of the TVS3 is, all the talk of it being the nearest possible sound to what it SHOULD be, was scuttled on the Reunion tour in 2009 when it was a disappointment. Hank's sound was not really any more authentic than it was on the 2004/5 Final tour - for whatever reason. He was using allegedly the best pickups (Fender CS54), the JMI AC30 hand wired clone of a real Vox AC30 & of course the TVS3. Hank's performances were superb as always, but the sound still wasn't there and a lot of people recognised that at the time.
That said, you can see a Rapiers concert and if Colin is using his real gear, the sound is there in spades. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Tab » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:36 pm

That is true, Dave. The original sound was not there and it appears that Hank has purposely moved away from the authenticity of that sound. The watered down version of the middle section of 'The Savage' is a prime example. I don't think you can blame the TVS. As you say, Colin has it in spades. I am a big fan of his rigid adherence and dedication to getting it as it was in the early days.
Tab

PreviousNext

Return to Gear