Echo Machines .. Can you really tell the difference ?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Echo Machines .. Can you really tell the difference ?

Postby scouserjoe2 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:30 pm

fenderplucker wrote:Hi Ian,

My apologies, you are quite right! I got it confused with the version on the TVS Jukebox that I did.

Blame it on "Old Timer's"!!

Regards,

Paul.

Paul, I know the feeling ... well !!! ;)

Ian
scouserjoe2

Full Real Name: Ian Evans

Postby GuitarPhil » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:00 pm

Didier wrote:
roger bayliss wrote:The VST system as far as I am aware usually uses the software version of eTap2 as I have tried it myself.

Chritian's VSTs software echoes aren't based on the eTap 2, but on close analysis of Hank's sound.

Didier

Christian does use Piet's original eTap2b001 software VST plugin for the echo part of his excellent VST system. The eTap2b001 was the inspiration for Piet to develop his own hardware version, the eTap2hw. Subsequently the Blue Nebula and Baby Blue pedals were developed from the eTap2hw.

Getting the echo head timings and levels correct is just one part of the process of getting close to Hank's recorded sound, as Paul explains in his detailed and informative post earlier.

A large part of the accuracy of Christian's VST patches is down to the care he takes with the EQ and especially how you can compare and adjust the sound of your pickups with Hank's recorded sound.

Phil
GuitarPhil

Full Real Name: Philip Hawthorne

Postby abstamaria » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:52 am

It was good to reread this thread. The context is different now, as Shadows-specific options, as Charlie Hall’s EFTP and the magnificent TVS3, are no longer available.

Paul Rossiter’s contribution to the discussion provided much useful information. It is invaluable. I am sorry he is gone too.

As I don’t gig and began my interest in Shadows music with the goal of capturing That Sound, I suppose I belong to the group Paul mentioned to whom the quality of the echoes will make a difference.

I started playing quite late - some 20 years ago - and was lucky as that was the time when Shadowmusic in its previous and current formats was very active. There was much to be learned here (thank you, Shadowmusic!), and Charlie Hall’s machines and then TVS3s were available.

When Paul emailed me last, just before he fell very ill, he wrote “it has been a fascinating journey!“ Indeed, it has.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:40 am

Paul Rossiter was the man on Shadow Music for echos and understanding the various elements of That Sound and creating excellent recreations of the recorded hits of The Shadows. He was the Professor ! RIP.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby David Martin » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:04 am

Sadly, I've now reached the stage where I can't rely on my hearing to tell me what I sound like, despite trying 4 different hearing aids, so I stand no chance of discerning which echo is which!

Worse still, following my stroke, I can't get my left hand to do precisely what I want it to do, so the subtleties of Shads music are now lost to me.... But playing the "blues" is still open to me.... So I do!

All that being said, I'm happy to be alive, to wake up every morning, to have the company of a wonderful woman, and my little collection of guitars...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Previous

Return to Gear