Ales is Q20: battery and EFTP.

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Ales is Q20: battery and EFTP.

Postby SJB » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:35 am

On seeing the above posts relating to the Midi Out being disabled once loaded by Charlie Hall I thought it reasonable to find out if this was true - just in case I decided to purchase a second hand unit.

Taken from the Website.
Hi XXXX,
I cannot allow the MIDI out to be re-enabled even if it were possible as the chip has been epoxied. I don't want to get in a situation where we argue about it and you haven't even bought it yet. You will be much better off going for a different Q20 that I haven't programmed before, or waiting for the Hall & Collins unit.
Regards,

So I suppose the way forward is to suck it and see. Or look at the PCB for an Epoxied Chip.

I have just downloaded the Q20 Service manual. I have never opened a Q20 up - so at this time I don't know the physical difficulties in soldering in a standby battery whilst changing the main one.
At this point in time I am thinking that if you loose the patches - because the midi out is disabled (because the midi load / unload requires both in and out working for transfer) then no one can replace them.

Hope I am wrong
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby Tab » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:02 am

I was enquiring about this some time ago and the following message was added to the thread if it's any help.

Re: Q20
by pjr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:30 pm
I have repaired an officially programmed Q2 and can tell you that the story of the self-erasing programs is a fallacy.
It is true however that the midi out has been disabled by the removal of a few components.

I'm not taking on repairs myself but try this guy if he is still around: Roy Paynter <r.paynter@btconnect.com>
He's in the Peterboro' area and is very good - much better than I am with that type of gear
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby pjr » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:07 am

Just to clarify that previous post of mine from way back, removing the cover from the unit will not erase the programs.
HOWEVER, removing the battery without attaching another power source WILL erase them.
There was no epoxied chip in my official EFTP Q2, only a couple of components removed to disable the midi out.
These were replaced to allow backup of the programs before changing the battery.

But please don't ask me to release the programs to anyone because I will not.
Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Pete
pjr

Full Real Name: Peter J Richardson

Postby SJB » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:35 pm

Just to wrap things up:-

Does the Q20 situation also apply to any other Alesis units?
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Previous

Return to Gear