OLP and MD guitars

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

OLP and MD guitars

Postby George Geddes » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:41 pm

In the past couple of months, I have acquired a couple of 'pawnshop prizes' at what I regarded as very reasonable prices.

The first was a rather grubby OLP with a broken trem arm. It is now cleaned, the electrics checked over and new trem block and arm fitted,along with a new set of strings. OLP started out making official budget versions of Music Man but when MM decided to start their own budget range, OLP had to look for new partners. My OLP guitar is one of a range made in conjunction with Orange County Choppers who customise bikes and hot rods. I'm guessing it dates to around the 2000s. I have seen bits and pieces on the Web, usually favourable, but a trawl through my magazine collection has found nothing in the way of reviews. I suspect the hot rod theme found little favour on this side of the pond? I love it, and the slim neck suits me fine.

The other guitar is proving to be even more of an enigma. It is a Korean made MD (sometimes know as Music Drive) which again looks to be from the 2000s. Unfortunately the sticker with the serial number has been removed. They get mentioned on some websites but the company itself has moved on to more high-end guitatrs. I have one half-page review from Guitar magazine around 2006 which looks to be a slightly more up market model than mine. There is a page on the Vintaxe site which has a catalogue from the early period of the company, but I will need to pay $10 to look at it for one month!

If anyone can point me to reviews of OLP OCC guitars or tell me anything about MD guitars I would be grateful. Both guitars play well and have no problem with Shadows numbers!!

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Re: OLP and MD guitars

Postby JimTidmarsh » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:24 am

How much were the 'pawnshop prices'??
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Re: OLP and MD guitars

Postby George Geddes » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:44 am

The price ticket on the OLP was £39.99 but my wife - in full Antiques Road Trip mode - pointed out the work which needed done, and asked "Is that your best price?" and the guy took £10 off! Spent around £7 for bits on eBay plus a new set of strings. As I said, it has a really slim neck which suits my wee hands.

The MD was £50 quid. I eyed it up for a good cleanup and possible selling on, but at the moment I'm keeping it. Both guitars have 24 frets which is a new experience for me!

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Return to Gear