Apache with lower priced guitar with mid priced pu's

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Apache with lower priced guitar with mid priced pu's

Postby bor64 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:24 pm

https://app.box.com/s/jai8g8aj6rn2hz2gw3xvfj4l5p0p906c Apache MP3

https://app.box.com/s/m2371c4mc41yzopc411jwgov2b57sgok Apache WAV

Hi Folks,

A Apache recording, done last month with a set handmade ToneSpinner '59 specials pu's on my MIJ HM strat,a H&CSE,a VOX AC15H1TV , a cheap Devine BM600 condenser studio microphone and a Boss BR1600CD.
It was done in one take only, no stuff done afterwards except the balance between BT and the lead track.

So why a new recording?...well...
I was never completely satisfied with the "normal" vintage magnet stagger of the original pre cbs and reissue maple neck strats, in regard with the old hits played on that famous strat.
Most of the time, the G string (wound or plain) was to loud in compare with the other strings and that was not the case on the original recordings.
Various reasons for that,(dull strings and some cigarette paper) but the most significant was the lower G magnet on the old famous red strat.
So with the new pu's in my MIJ HM guitar it sounded on responding level the same as the original!!!

I played this recording with the modern galloped parts as done by Hank for the last 50 years and left that small accent out in the intro which I never heard him played again after the original recording...

I hope you like it and please let me know what you think!

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Re: Apache with lower priced guitar with mid priced pu's

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:32 pm

Well well! If you listen to this with the original in mind you can hear that it's not exactly the same. However, if you went on stage and performed it just like that, you'd get a well-deserved round of applause from Shads fans and others alike. Indeed, if you could get that sound in the hall, you'd be doing better than the Shads did sometimes when live.

( Great backing band ;) )
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby bor64 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:10 pm

Hi Iain,

Thank you very much for the more then kind words regarding my playing and sound!
Yes it's kinda my live sound, only downside is... that backing band wants to be paid in real money ;)
The recording was made to let people hear the string response balance is identical as on the original 34346
My 13-56 full nickel strings are sounding to bright, on the original recording the strings are dull.
The guitar I used is not a top priced sample and sounded ok, but the ToneSpinner pu's lifted it to a higher level.
The ToneSpinners are hand-build and for the price of a set mass produced , you can buy a sets of ToneSpinner '59 Specials and they can be made with custom options if you like....

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby abstamaria » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:57 pm

Rob, Hank’s strings then were probably flatwounds (tapewounds).

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby John Brown » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:17 pm

Surely Dave Robinson has already proved that this can be done without expensive gear including pickups :!:
Best Regards
John
John Brown

Full Real Name: John Brown

Postby Gary Allen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:42 pm

Rob, All them strats and you're still farting around with different pickups ???
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby bor64 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:12 am

Hi Andy,

The fact that flatwounds give instant duller sound as normal strings is not that strange. More strange is, the lack of endurance to research what kind of strings Fender placed on the guitars back then. It's typicaly the net which can change a assumption into a fact in minutes.
A friend of mine visited a Fender collector(USA) who owns hundreds of vintage guitars...even brand new almost non played guitars.
Many Fender cases with all untempered case candy and receipts inside, also factory boxes still filled with string envelopes.
All the Fender string envelopes when still contained strings, they where filled with normal wound strings.
It's save to say that in '59 all guitars had still normal 13-56 strings and no flat wounds.
Last year there was discovered a unplayed 65 LPB Jag with the original strings on it and they where normal strings.
So miracle finds still exist!
In 51 Fender first sets of flatwounds for bass where provided.
"Cliff ordered" just one spare set of strings with the 34346...that's why you see Hank with his third set (perhaps British brand) thinner gauge and the cigarette paper on the D and G string.
So my money on the dull sounding strings on Apache and other hits is, just dull strings instead of flatwounds.

Thin hat in place ;)

Cheers Rob
Last edited by bor64 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bor64

Postby bor64 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:57 am

Hi John,

The fact that Dave's YT video proofs you can be in the same ballpark sound wise, with lesser priced WRONG(in his words) gear is a different adventure.
My kinda "click bate" thread title contain only the exact fact describing words about my adventure, and I use lower and mid priced instead of wrong gear!
My intention is what I wrote in my opening message, the string volume balance on the old hits and the lack of that on standard vintage pu's.
I have several original pre-cbs sets strat pu's and countless reissue pu's of several makes, all have the same lack of string volume balance in compare with the original 34346.
That's what I try to proof, not try to angling in Dave's pond!
I'm aware that some people can't hear the differences, but several of my friends can so it's up to the listener to judge!

Cheers Rob
Last edited by bor64 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bor64

Postby bor64 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:01 pm

Hi Gary,

Most of my life contains farting around so what else is new ;)
Seriously I think I have a valid point about the not so standard magnet stagger of the 34346 and the volume balance of the strings when picked on the old hits.

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby Stu's Dad » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:59 pm

I saw the Shadows on TV in the early sixties (61 if my memory serves me right) when they topped the bill on Sunday Night at the London Palladium. I can clearly remember Hanks strings sparkling in the spotlights - only flats can do that.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Next

Return to Gear