VOX CAMBRIDGE 50 Modelling amp

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

VOX CAMBRIDGE 50 Modelling amp

Postby Tony Szpala » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:37 pm

I was wondering of anyone has tried one of these amps, which I believe are quite new. And if anyone has compared it with the Boss Katana amp?

Tony
Tony Szpala

Location: Ripley, Derbyshire email address: tony.szpala@hotmail.com
Full Real Name: Tony Szpala

Re: VOX CAMBRIDGE 50 Modelling amp

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:21 am

It looks similar to the Vx 30 which I bought about 3 years back and also the newer Vox GTV 50 . All have same amp models and same modelling and effect except the new GTV and Cambridge have a NuValve and more power output stated at 50 watts.

I find that my go to amp for some time has been the VX 30 and I bought one as a back up and spare I was so impressed with the sounds it delivers. It is made of plastic with a wooden speaker baffle board and light to carry with your little finger and cost was about £120.

If the Cambridge and GTV50 are better I might be tempted to get one for the extra power output. I might try them out over next few weeks see what they are like, but if they are like my VX30 in sound I will probably get one. I think the VX GTV50 is likely to be of interest to me, but will have to try them out.

I have a Katana 100 combo and the VX has better sounds for Shadows IMHO
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:06 pm

All the Vox amps that I've tried, which is most of them known to me, deliver a satisfactory Shadows sound. I have bought and sold the last half dozen or so offerings from Vox, simply because they haven't bettered the Vox AD VT30 that I bought over fifteen years ago.
However, the Katana is still great value and is so damn versatile, I love the head and small speaker option as well as the amazing echo and overdrive that sings like Gary Moore and Brian May, which is where it beats the Vox. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Tony Szpala » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:02 pm

Roger/Dave

Thanks for your responses. I'll see if any local guitar shops have got one in stock and try one out.

Tony
Tony Szpala

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:25 am

My mate has bought a VX50 GTV a few days back and he said it was very good and likes it a lot. The same electronics and control panel are in the new Cambridge 50 and a 12 inch Celestion speaker and wooden cab as opposed to the plastic cab of the VX50GTV. There are a few decent demos of the Cambridge on uTube showing clean tones and it sounds impressive. Retail is about £270.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Tony Szpala » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:59 pm

Roger - Thanks for the info. I'll try it in the not too distant future against the Fender Deluxe Reverb modelling amp.

Tony
Tony Szpala

Return to Gear