Boss DD-500 & Strymon Volante discussion

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Boss DD-500

Postby dave robinson » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:08 pm

roger bayliss wrote:Tried the Nux Tape Core pedal Dave ? A Roland 301 sim pedal for under £50.

Tell me about it Roger, I haven't seen that one. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Ian Miller » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:40 pm

Hi Dave,

I’m afraid I’ve to a tale of woe re the NuX Tape Core.
I received the pedal a couple of days ago from Amazon. Yesterday I had a go at getting it setup, so I updated the firmware so I could use the editor and take advantage of the enhanced settings. All went well and I started to set things up as I like them and all of a sudden BANG..... I very nearly dropped the guitar. I was running it into a Katana Mini at a ‘bedroom’ volume, both devices on batteries. So checked e everything ie leads etc so started again and after 10 minutes another loud bang. Anyway, I went online and did a bit of searching, and it seems there is a bug either in the firmware or the editor. This has been going on for a couple of years and NuX have not yet fixed it. So it’s going back tomorrow, I can’t live with that keep happening!
Here’s a link to all the Info: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... s.1918200/

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby bazmusicman » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:25 pm

Ian Miller wrote:Hi Dave,

I received the pedal a couple of days ago from Amazon. Yesterday I had a go at getting it setup, so I updated the firmware so I could use the editor and take advantage of the enhanced settings. All went well and I started to set things up as I like them and all of a sudden BANG..... I very nearly dropped the guitar. I was running it into a Katana Mini at a ‘bedroom’ volume, both devices on batteries. So checked e everything ie leads etc so started again and after 10 minutes another loud bang. Anyway, I went online and did a bit of searching, and it seems there is a bug either in the firmware or the editor. This has been going on for a couple of years and NuX have not yet fixed it. So it’s going back tomorrow, I can’t live with that keep happening!
Here’s a link to all the Info: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... s.1918200/

Ian

I read in 'The Gear Page comments' that if you plug into the Stereo output instead of the Mono output you don't get any 'thump/bang' etc.

Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby Ian Miller » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:51 pm

Hi Baz,

Yes I saw that but later on several people said it didn’t make any difference!

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:11 pm

I have had the Nux Tape Core for quite a while and updated the firmware. Not experiencing any problems myself. Was not aware of this until I read this.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:13 pm

dave robinson wrote:
roger bayliss wrote:Tried the Nux Tape Core pedal Dave ? A Roland 301 sim pedal for under £50.

Tell me about it Roger, I haven't seen that one. :)

See the thread further down list Dave
roger bayliss

Postby bazmusicman » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:41 pm

Ian Miller wrote:Hi Baz,

Yes I saw that but later on several people said it didn’t make any difference!

Ian

Hi Ian,

I thought that might be the answer.....I don't have one of these pedals so I can't say first hand.
Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:41 am

bazmusicman wrote:
Ian Miller wrote:Hi Dave,

Ian

I read in 'The Gear Page comments' that if you plug into the Stereo output instead of the Mono output you don't get any 'thump/bang' etc.

Regards,
Baz.

I read some users saying the popping started after using the editor software and one said he used the reset option in the editor and it stopped the problem. Also they said current draw was around 100mA , which means batteries will drain quickly. Only a relative few had the problem it seems and many had no issues, so maybe the editor is the problem. I do not use the editor much preferring to use the pedal itself and mode 5 mode . I have mine powered by an iSpot power supply. Mine has been fine since I bought it and I updated the firmware too.
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:09 am

I've decided to take a look at the Volante,I have see some good videos and heard some good sounds. Better demos than the Boss.
I can return it if it doesn't work out. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:45 am

I thought I'd add that the Boss DD-500 did the Binson Echorec very accurately but so does my Catalinbread, so although it offers many other features, they weren't ones that I really needed. The Strymon however is a different proposition, though ninety quid more expensive. :o
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear