Boss DD-500 & Strymon Volante discussion

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Boss DD-500 & Strymon Volante discussion

Postby dave robinson » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:14 pm

I used it last night as planned and it does have a certain 'magic' as I thought, because a few people who play guitar actually commented on how well it sounded in certain tunes.
That tells me a lot, because I didn't make it the focus of attention and the comments were based on 'authenticity', which pleased me.
I now have it in the house with me, comparing it with my Vox Tonelab LE that I have just gone back to. The Tonelab does a great all round job and I can easily make a living with it doing what we do, but there is this 'magic' ingredient that Strymon has and I can't put my finger on it at the moment. I am spending my time today doing A/B tests and although each sounds excellent, the Strymon has an edge. What I am certain of, is that the key factors are in the deep editing of the patches on the Strymon.
The burning question is, could the magic ingredient be worth £370 ? :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby stratman999 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:59 pm

Hi Dave
I am new to this site and I am waiting for delivery of the volante.
I played from 14- 50 in many bands, rock, pop, weddings etc and retired from playing until now. I have also a helix, frfr speaker and dt25 amp. I did a spot to backing tracks, Shadows, Duane Eddy etc and really enjoyed it so when lockdown is over, plan to do a few gigs. I love technology and the helix is great, but it doesn't have the warmth and feel of the volante. I always used copycats and space echos in the early days and loved the sound and warmth

Could you help me with some of the settings please? heads, feedback, mix, knob positions etc. I don't have a H&C etc to copy patches. I have managed to get in the ballpark with the helix, but just want that old sound. I have been following your posts as I have been looking for information. and you along with others with putting so much info on here as helped greatly.

I am very experienced and love and understand all effects, but your help would be so appreciated.

Kind regards

David
stratman999

Full Real Name: David Pickwell

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:16 pm

This might be pf interest to anyone considering the Stymon Volante.
I still have one and value it highly.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Previous

Return to Gear