boss katana 100 mk1

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

boss katana 100 mk1

Postby ovation553 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:49 pm

hi all
i dont know if anybody has this opinion about the katana clean sound but my clean sound straight out of the amp is very uninspiring..no sparkle what so ever even with the treble and mids ajusted(bass 10 o clock mids 3to4 o clock treble 4 oclock) theres not a lot of sparkle more dark this trying to get shadows sound BUT... once i switch on my zoom g3x its not a bad sound....BUT that is using one of the patches on the zoom vox combo three tape echos and a delay if i take the vox combo out of the chain it sounds bad again very dead .So my question is if my amp had a better clean sound would i need to use the vox simulation. I also tried using the tone studio find it not very user frendly tried using the ten band eq not getting the sound im after... may be im just unlucky and got the friday amp so im mildly disapointed with the katana SO WHAT NOW? ..Ihave thoughts of getting rid of the katana i really would like a vox ac 15 but i cant really afford that money has anybody got some reccomendations as to what to go for ie vox or fender or vox vt series ...the cleaner sound the better....should i go for valve or solid state(i guess valve)ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME thanks for reading
best regards charlie
ovation553

Full Real Name: charlie wilson

Re: boss katana 100 mk1

Postby barryg » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:00 pm

Hi Charlie,

The Boss Katana amps are very popular with the Shadows guitarists on this site and players of other music styles and good sounds can be obtained with these amps. Wait and hear from some of the Katana users on this site to tell you their settings before changing anything and I'm sure they will give you some guidance. Which model amp do you have?

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby Gruntfuttock » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:33 pm

Hi Charlie. I wonder if you did end up with the Friday amp! I have the Katana 100 W head amp and I think it’s an amazing piece of kit.
Once the Tone Studio is installed it’s quite user friendly. I did have trouble installing drivers etc as I found the instructions a little confusing. I bought the foot switch and have four Shads patches from early Shads to the Burns era. Not sure I’ve nailed the Burns sound on a Strat though!
If this amp we’re stolen I would definitely buy another!
Check Dave Robinson’s posts re the Katana.
Oh - I find the sound through the Clean Chanel is great and plenty powerful enough for just about any gig! Apart from Shads numbers I also play rhythm guitar in a 60’s type band and can get great tones for that too.
Hope this helps.
Best wishes Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby artyman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:51 am

Here is a video from when I first got my Katana 50 using programmed echoes with Tone Studio through amp.
https://youtu.be/7z4xDcfyoKQ

And this using a Blue Nebula pedal
https://youtu.be/_VtXcXtq6E4

A word of warning I'm not the best of players :oops:
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby ovation553 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:02 am

hellow again
in answer to barrys question i have the katana 100 mark 1 serial number B819656...i dont really know how old it is... all the updates are there but without using the zoom g3x the sound would not even be close
regards charlie[
ovation553

Postby Hank2k » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:10 am

i have the katana 50 and zoom g3x with squier simon neil and get a closer sound to the shads using this rig than using a vox ac30 with blues!
Hank2k

Postby RogerCook » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:46 pm

I partly agree that the Katana (well, mine at least) isn't quite a solid state AC30. However, I think you could get nearer your goal with some work. There are patches around that will sound a bit more Vox like - check out Sneaky Amps. Also have a look here - http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/deta ... _a_shadow/ - these can be made to work with the Katana even though they're not specific to it. Also have a look at Gumtown FX Floorboard which you may prefer to Tone Studio.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Stu's Dad » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:27 pm

If you can't get to grips with the Tone Studio look on You Tube, there are some excellent videos on how to get the best out of it. Some of them are for the Mark I, which is slightly different, but if that gives you a specific problem post about it, there are plenty of people here who understand the changes.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby ovation553 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:08 pm

hiall
thanks for all replies will have to get to grips with tone studio before i mane any harse moves... thanks again
best regards charlie
ovation553

Postby ovation553 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:13 pm

hi again
this question is for hank2k
when you are using your g3x in a shadows set do you use a vox amp sim in the chain i usually use the vox combo thats how i get my sound using the katana 100 combo
best regards charlie
ovation553

Next

Return to Gear