Vox Delay Lab ?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Vox Delay Lab ?

Postby dave robinson » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:30 pm

Has anyone had any success getting The Shadows sound from the Vox Tone Lab ?
I ask because I tried one a few years ago and I couldn't make head nor tail of it so I gave up.
That said, they are cheap enough to pick up now and if they can do the business I want to know about it. There are demos on YouTube but nobody tests the mult-head function to show us what it sounds like. Everybody seems to be attracted by the gimmicks and useless sounds that we wouldn't want, showing how bad it can sound rather than how it could be used for such as we. I had a look at the user guide and according to that, the patterns do exist within the machine. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Vox Delay Lab ?

Postby Tone » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:39 pm

Hi Dave

I've been using one on and off for several years and, in Manual mode, with a bit of fiddling you certainly can get a good Shads sound because, as you know, there are lots of parameters to play with..These days, though, I use it only occasionally for direct recording and I prefer to use a separate echo unit with it so I can't comment on the multi taps.

Cheers,

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby fenderplucker » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:55 pm

Hi Dave,

Check out Robby Januarsa: https://www.youtube.com/user/suaragitar

All his posts done with a Tonelab and Long Tom, TVS3 or ESE Echomatic.

Regards,

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby dave robinson » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:38 pm

My utmost and sincere apologies chaps, I should have written DELAY LAB as That's what I meant.
I do of course have a Tone Lab LE which is my main tool for our shows and I do know that works.
I'm getting worried about these mis quotes, it's happening too often. :oops:

The reason I ask is because there are many good pieces of kit out there now and I have a hunch that they use the same chip, as they are all excellent. I just bought a Strymon Volante to play with after trying about a dozen others including the Timeline, Fender Mirror Image, Mooer Ocean, TC Flashback x4, Nemisis and the main differences are really in the ease of use and storage of patches - or not. I found a NUX Tape Core for £30 so ordered that ad it looks interesting.
Something to do whilst we are in 'lockdown'. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Ian Miller » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:19 pm

Hi Dave,

With regard to the NuX Tape Core, I recently returned one as there is a known fault when using this
device. I had mine connected up to my PC and was using the associated editor, after some minutes use there came a very loud bang from the amp which was extremely startling! So having done all the usual checks with connections and leads etc I continued. 10 minutes passed and then another loud bang, so at that point I gave up. I did a bit of research online and found that it is a common problem that has gone on for a long time. NuX it seems are fully aware but have as yet not rectified the problem! Apparently it tends to only happen when connected to the editor.

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby dave robinson » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up Ian.
It's on it's way now and at £39 it ssn't the end of the world, but I'll watch out for that.
Can you tell me if once you edit the machine, is it saveable should I wish to disconnect it and use my edits ?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:40 pm

dave robinson wrote:Thanks for the heads up Ian.
It's on it's way now and at £39 it ssn't the end of the world, but I'll watch out for that.
Can you tell me if once you edit the machine, is it saveable should I wish to disconnect it and use my edits ?

No Dave not savable I have one and very good in mode 5
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:53 pm

OK so what is the point of the software editing then . Is it just something that you can use as long as it's hooked up to a computer, for recording and home use? :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:53 am

dave robinson wrote:OK so what is the point of the software editing then . Is it just something that you can use as long as it's hooked up to a computer, for recording and home use? :)

The software permits more control over head timings and wow flutter and EQ if memory serves me ok. I have not had a problem with mine popping and it is fairly quiet too. They are great Roland echo sim pedals better than the Boss RE 201 which was quite noisy..
roger bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:02 am

roger bayliss

Next

Return to Gear