NUX Tape Core pedal

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NUX Tape Core pedal

Postby dave robinson » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:07 pm

GuitarPhil wrote:When you use two pedals and only have feedback on the second one, surely the feedback signal only goes back to the input of the second pedal whereas in the real vintage machines, whichever head(s) the feedback was taken from always went back to mix with the original input signal?

That way the heads 'in front' of the feedback head then added echo to the delayed feedback signal again, along with the incoming signal from the input. In the two pedal method only the virtual head(s) in the second pedal would add echo to the signal from the feedback head(s).

Depending on the level of the feedback signal I suppose the difference might be subtle?

I can't pretend to be able to understand all of that Phil, but what I do know is that what I have done by setting these two pedals up this way the sound equals, if not betters the competition. Whether it's technically right or not matters little when compared A/B against the H&C and Strymon Volante on the same intended settings, as the two £40 machines sound identical to those mentioned. As I said, a single NUX Tape Core pedal will produce the Apache echo when the head values are tweaked with the computer and a good Echomatic 2 pattern is available by using a pair. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:26 pm

There is an issue with using two or more delay pedals in that feedback does affect the output. The only way to stop one pedal feeding back into another is to use parallel routing rather than series . I first encountered this problem with a POD I put 4 delays and times and levelled them fir Meazzi sound, but got wrong results due to each delay feeding in series into others.

In effect your guitar needs to split into the input of the two pedals and output combined later in chain to work correctly.

I have tried the echos on HX Stomp in similar way to POD and its tye same issue. You can set a couple of delays up on a separate stereo path though, but not 4 delays. So a multi tap providing 3 taps and a tape delay 1 main tap can work on HX Stomp or obviously a single Multihead delay..

Normally on tape echos the feedback is taken from a single head to feedback . If you set your pedals up with feedback on all heads you get the wrong results.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:13 pm

FYI

Apache according to eTap2 documentation has 3 active heads selected with feedback provided from head 2 which is not on but providing feedback in EM J setting mode B.

Timings are
1. 121ms head on for playback
2. 239 ms on for feedback off for playback
3. 425 ms head on for playback
4. 595 ms head on for playback

Head 1 121 ms is loudest and head 425ms is 2 db quieter head 595 is 4db quieter than head 1.

So 3 heads are playback on and one head provides feedback but not playing back if that makes sense.
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:04 pm

I'm not having any of these problems Roger, I go to pedal 1 which is set 106/204/285 no feedback about half volume (12-O- Clock) then into the second one set on 360 with some feedback and slightly more volume that the first three heads. It nails it and all I need to do is adjust he levels for most f the Shads catalogue. I have a setting for Apache & similar on pedal one and just ad feedback for Mustang, MOM, Frightened City et al. When compared with the H&C, Blue Nebula and others the pattern matches those perfectly.
I did make it sound pretty crap at first before I worked out the order of all my pedals. I'm using my ACTone, Zoom MS-100 and a swell pedal in there too and sometimes my Tonebender.

If I wish to get clever we can go into the desk with echo only and alter EQ which can take it closer to the Meazzi tone, but I'm not fussed as I like it as it is. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:39 pm

dave robinson wrote:I'm not having any of these problems Roger, I go to pedal 1 which is set 106/204/285 no feedback about half volume (12-O- Clock) then into the second one set on 360 with some feedback and slightly more volume that the first three heads. It nails it and all I need to do is adjust he levels for most f the Shads catalogue. I have a setting for Apache & similar on pedal one and just ad feedback for Mustang, MOM, Frightened City et al. When compared with the H&C, Blue Nebula and others the pattern matches those perfectly.
I did make it sound pretty crap at first before I worked out the order of all my pedals. I'm using my ACTone, Zoom MS-100 and a swell pedal in there too and sometimes my Tonebender.

If I wish to get clever we can go into the desk with echo only and alter EQ which can take it closer to the Meazzi tone, but I'm not fussed as I like it as it is. :)

That works Dave because without feedback on first pedal, you original signal and three taps hit pedal 2 which then repeats those and the 4th head added there and all are then repeated in the 2nd pedal. Problems only arise with feedback on both pedals. If you put feedback on first pedal you will see what I mean.

I had a discussion with Charlie Hall about series and parallel delay types and he said parallel is what is generally needed.

The Yamaha Magicstomp had a great selection of paralell and series delays I remember that and was great for Shads echos.
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:20 pm

I have done and if you don't over do it there's still a favourable result, but the first three heads on this effect don't need feedback, the feedback has to be off head 4.
I got the Strymon Volante out today and the one thing that stands out that is better is in the tape saturation, the rest is trivial for my needs. You can get the overdriven Flingel Bunt with the Volante, but I have yet to achieve the same sound with NUX tape Core. it isn't the end of the world because the competition doesn't seem to get that one either.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby SteveB » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:27 am

emielvisser wrote:It's a pity that the times of the heads can't be set individually. 
I asked the support centre of NUX  and got an answer straight away, there fixed.
I have got no reaction on my question about the LOAD button.
I wonder what 2 units will do, you can double the times of one of them for more possibilities, hope it works.

Could you let us know what the answer from the support centre was in resolving setting the times on the heads individually.
Many thanks
SteveB

Full Real Name: Steve Bass

Postby emielvisser » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:17 pm

Head times are fixed. Head 2 is 2 x head 1 and head 3 is 3 x head 1.
Connecting to the pc makes it possible to differ the intervals by activate the SYNC switch. It is possible to save 7 presets.
Hope this helps.
emielvisser

Full Real Name: Emiel Visser

Postby emielvisser » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:18 pm

Dave uses an extra Nux as the fourth head. I use the echo on my Champion 40 to be the fourth head. Works very nice.
emielvisser

Postby emielvisser » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:41 pm

A good demo of the possibilities

https://youtu.be/pM_O6j5lfZc
emielvisser

PreviousNext

Return to Gear