NUX Tape Core pedal

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NUX Tape Core pedal

Postby Garystrat » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:03 pm

Hi Dave,

Judging by your earlier demo's, the Volante sounded great to me and couldn't really understand it when you moved on!

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:51 pm

Garystrat wrote:Hi Dave,

Judging by your earlier demo's, the Volante sounded great to me and couldn't really understand it when you moved on!

Regards

Gary

Yes indeed Gary I do agree, it was excellent. The problem with me is, I have too much time on my hands and I love getting improved results at a cheaper price, which the Nux Tape Core does. I couldn't live with the £400 price tag of the Volante, compared to £80 for the two Nux pedals that did the same job.
On my last couple of recordings of Apache with my new self made BT, using the Everley's jumbo & J-200 for the rhythm, I used m Zoom MS100-BT and it's just as good. I'm messing around all the time and if I don't have my pedal board handy I use whatever is nearest, sometimes it's the Echo Designer on my computer, with a simulated Vox AC30 from the same programme. The thing is, seem to be able to get the sound out of any combination of my gear these days, it must be all the practice I've had. :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Garystrat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:02 am

Thanks for the reply Dave, I've been using a mostly an all plugin setup with Helix Native, PSP Noble (EQ), Redwirez Mix IR3 with either SoundToy's Echboy or Overloud's Echoson, I wondered if you had tried Echoson?

https://www.overloud.com/products/echoson

Bets regards

Gary
Garystrat

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:26 am

I didn't know about the Echoson but it's basically a couple of Binson machines by the looks of it.
It's got exactly what the Volante has on board so I guess it will do the same stuff. How much is it to buy and does it run on any DAW ?
In Logic Pro X there's the Echo Designer which allows an infinite number of heads, all controllable and can be configured any way you wish. I use this to het the different Meazzi tones and it's all I'll ever need for that job, not that I'd want to take it on stage.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Garystrat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:24 am

Hi Dave,

I have both Strymon El Capistan and Catlinbread Echorec pedals, but actually prefer the two plugins, Overloud is an Italian developer and has the vintage authenticity in my opinion. The double Binson is for individual stereo adjustments on each channel and works in conjunction with a drop down control panel for combining them spatially.

They do a demo version and it’s on offer at the moment for 109.00 Euro incl. VAT (normally 129.00 Euro).

There are links on this webpage for compatibility, the demo and manual:

https://www.overloud.com/products/echoson

From what I know of your system you should be good, I’m running quite a few top end plugins and several tracks on an iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 with 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM (OS Catalina) using Ableton Live Suite 10 and not run into any resource problems. With Ableton I use the depth of features, but I suspect no where near the number of tracks Tony uses. The appeal to me is that even at the “Intro” level Ableton is like a cross between Logic pro and MainStage, I upgraded to the “Suite” version because it not only integrates so many pro features, but also implements them in any easy to use way (small’ish learning curve if you are familiar with DAW’s and there is brilliant interactive help and on-line video training).

The Suite version includes many features that would often require third party plugins and they are all generally top notch, including being able to convert audio files to MIDI and switchable loops within tracks for audio (they refer to them as “sequencing”).

I’m also using a Focusrite Clarett Pre 2 USB audio interface and Boss wireless connection, at a bit depth of 96 KHz I still get a very low latency of Input 4.58 ms, Output 4.34 using “High Quality” mode with a buffer of 128 Samples. For me the Focusrite gives pristine output, has solid drivers and proven to be excellent value.

If you try the demo, I would be very interest to know how you get on?

Gary
Garystrat

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:05 am

Thanks Gary I'll look into it. Do you know if there is an option to set the head spacings to your own settings, if so that would be very useful ? :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Garystrat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:46 pm

Hi Dave.

No you can't set individual head spacings, but I've been using this plugin for well over a year now and I think it will give you much of the character that you've felt missing from some echoes in the past.

When you click the stereo switch the secondary head menu drops down, you can then set head timing between the two for spacial effect.

If you like Binson echoes, i think you will be surprised, these videos may be of help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4yYdvbPL2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDG4Thlx99A

Don't take too much notice of the demo tone, this is really to give an idea of controls.

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Postby emielvisser » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:39 am

I sold my NUX Tape Core.
Though I liked the sound, I didn't like the way to "program" the device.
I loaded my Zoom MS 50 from the Zoom website with the effects I use and can program it just the way I like it.
The NUX is no longer available from BAX Netherlands as it is out of the collection, wonder why, because it sounds good or are there to many problems like Dave mentioned.
emielvisser

Full Real Name: Emiel Visser

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:37 pm

Well I contacted Overloud who make the Echoson and they sent me the link to audition it so I did just that.
I won't be buying it as it offers nothing that I don't already have. It's an impressive looking 'plug in' but out of all the Binson options I prefer the Strymon Volante, but not at £400.
The Echo Designer in Apple's Logic Pro X recording system does everything you'd ever need, even Meazzi machines which no Binson simulator or otherwise can replicate, it's all in the knowing what's needed to get it out of them. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:51 am

After giving this a great deal of thought I have ordered another Strymon Volante echo box. My pair of Nux Tape Core do a great job, but there are issues with them and I can't risk having problems when we start gigging again. Looking forward to getting it tomorrow. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear