NUX Tape Core pedal

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NUX Tape Core pedal

Postby Garystrat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:40 am

Hi Dave,

I missed your previous post where you had actually tried the Echoson, tonally they are quite different echoes, but as you know I tend to switch back and forth between this and EchoBoy. I don’t know if you still have the Echoson on your Mac, but with software there is the option of ordering the chain differently and I tend to put the echo after the amp and also use SoundToys Little Plate at the end of the chain to give a touch of reverb and sustain. PSP’s Noble is is also very good for getting the some of the Abbey Road studio EQ effects (this is also in my chain).

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/little-plate/

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/equ ... sp_nobleq/

I have a fully licensed copy of Logic Pro and had the option of using Space designer, but switched to Ableton Live Suite 10 (have just pre-order 11 upgrade) about 2 years ago having tried a Lite version demo that came with my Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre USB audio interface, I was using an Apogee Duet with Logic, but the Ableton/Focusrite paring provided pristine output with a combination of Logic Pro and MainStage in the one software. Like many things Space Designer is certainly capable of the echo patterns, for me was not quite there in terms of character, but it can only be used in Logic Pro.

With Helix Native as my amp sim and Redwirez mixIR 3 for speaker simulation this has allowed me to model and experiment, making it much easier to use studio techniques that are available in Logic Pro and nearly all other top end DAWs, but are often quite fiddly to implement. It also handles plugins in a unique way with gain stage metering between each so you can always see what happening. In truth there is a lot overkill for my use, but it’s been a terrific learning tool in guiding me to expanding my knowledge/interest to the point where I have moved beyond much of the intuitive knob twiddling.

Listening to your demo’s I think you pretty much nailed it with the Strymon Volante and compared to some of the alternatives at that level reasonably priced, I would settle on this and enjoy it as a good investment, sometimes it’s a case of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing!

Best regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:24 pm

Well the Strymon arrived at midday and I got it plugged in and just had an hour playing my favourite Shadows tunes with it, programming it as I went along and saving what I considered worth saving. What I have quickly realised is that it is expensive for a reason and the reason is it's bloody good.
I was struggling to believe that it was worth in excess of £400 when I first bought it then when I immediately discovered machines doing what 'appeared' to be a similar job at a fraction of the price. As stated at the time I sent it back in favour of a budget version of the same thing, honestly of the opinion that it was the right thing to do. I'm not having problems with my Nux Tape Core pedals, but the two extra ones (an intended gift for my second guitarist in our band) that I purchased from Bax Shop were a complete nightmare and wouldn't programme for some reason, ending up in them each jamming up and being returned. I couldn't risk this and after a lot of thought and listening to my recordings with the Strymon Volante I ordered another. OK it cost £380 and it's quite a hefty price, but when I take into account it's capabilities and what it gives me in simplicity, it's worth every penny.
I tried the plug in 'Echoson' on trial, in fact I still have it for a few more days, but I'm not impressed as it's fiddly and doesn't have what the Volante offers so it isn't for me.
I like things that work fast, the Echson didn't as half the stuff didn't work properly and I don't have time or patience for stuff that fails.
On the Strymon Volante you press a button, flick a switch or turn a knob and it works instantly and gives perfect results. I can get everything I need for the stuff we do so it's a result in my eyes. I can't believe that I moaned about the price after paying out far more in the past for stuff I got rid of. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:30 pm

The Volante is a great echo Dave , I am tempted to try messing with a MIDI controller to alter the echo levels see if that gives it more of a EM2 type of sound. Now I have finished some work in the house, I might give it a try in near future. :D
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:49 pm

I have used the Baby Blue echo for a few years now as my goto echo. A few weeks back I bought the latest Blue Nebula v5 and have to say it is great as far as I am concerned. The only drawback was it needed a 12 volt centre positive supply and I found an old Internet router psu that did a good job. To integrate it better into my pedal board , I invested in a ISpot Psu with 6 supply voltages so I did not need a second psu unit.

Best part about it is the ability to call up patches using your feet and the patches are quite good too. Overall the Baby Blue and Blue Nebula pack a great set of echos and emulations of echo machine for the price. :idea:
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:14 pm

Been messing with the Volante and managed to get a very close 'Flingel Bunt' echo that no other brings to the table, or at least I've never heard it. I'm talking about that 'growl' at the end of the intro notes.
I'm guilty of not realising it's capabilities and as you have mentioned it Roger, I might look into the midi controller and see what can be edited. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:43 pm

I do not have a MIDI controller pedal at present but am considering getting one that will be easy to use. After going through some of the popular units, I thought the Morning Star MC6 would be a good one for me, as got great features , including a display that is clear and tells you your preset name. It can control several devices whereas some pedals only do one device. It comes with software making programming easier and quicker with file backup to save your settings. The MC3 is another smaller compact unit that fits nicely on pedal boards I am considering.

Another company called Disaster Area Designs have a number of units with small footprints great for pedal boards eg DMC Micro. These are great and worth a look , but seem more complicated to use to me at least. The MIDI baby and MIDI Baby 3 are worth a look , but no displays.

Popular cheaper options I found are the Meloaudio MIDI Comnander and Harley Benton do a copy of this unit for less money. Great unit overall , but only controls one device. Behringher do a large unit that is well spoken of but apparently lacks USB.

The Strymon Volante has 300 presets accessed by MIDI in 3 banks, but 127 in bank 0 shoukd be enough for simpler use. You can set the 4 head levels between 0-127 with CC , and any other of the Volantes settings. Most MIDI units can send up to 16 messages per pedal press.

There are plenty of UTube videos to learn more and some guys are using MIDI controllers with iPads to control DAW and effects etc via USB. For some the MIDI controller and iPad is a complete rig !

Anyone using MIDI controllers ? any recommendations?
roger bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:20 pm

Example MIDI use with Volante

https://youtu.be/wzvGShir590
roger bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:37 pm

Might be good idea to update firmware on the Volante as Strymon just released new firmware jan 2021.
roger bayliss

Postby Garystrat » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:40 pm

Hi Dave,

The Volante certainly seems the business, it’s good to hear that you’re so pleased with it and that it may well achieve the long term satisfaction you were seeking. I actually think it represents pretty good value, Strymon appear to be one of those companies who put a lot of thought, time and development into their products. The price reflects the processing power, quality of components and build, it looks a really solid piece of kit that is likely to give years of service without the feeling of any significant compromise.

To my mind the feature set and layout provides a closer operational representation of the original units, which is something I have come to appreciate with time, in some ways I see this as more of a purist approach than the multi FX pedals with patches.

However, I do feel that you have been a tad harsh in your comments regarding the “Echoson” plugin, as you say you didn’t spend the the time nor have the patience to properly explore it!

Whilst understand it’s not for you, here are a couple of reviews that others might find interesting:

https://www.musicconnection.com/new-gea ... m-echoson/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDG4Thl ... e=emb_logo

I have been using this for quite a while and haven’t found that “half the stuff doesn’t work properly”, like many software plugins they can take some familiarisation, in this case certain functions are off on particular settings and this may be what you noticed?

I don’t know if you have seen the Strymon Iridium, but that seems quite interesting too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITSZ00-obLM

Enjoy the new the toy, I’m going to be a bit cheeky and say that wouldn’t be too disappointed if you found the time to post a few more great demos!

Best regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:02 pm

I think I got Flingel Bunt about right on my Strymon thread Gary. I will do a few more, but maybe videos. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear