the Spark smart amp...

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

the Spark smart amp...

Postby Vincent » 18 Apr 2020, 09:32

I started seeing this a few months back and has been on sale in the UK a short while , I believe its under £200 quid. Its a play at home amp -(and as things are, a lot of people are forced to play at home) rated at 40 watt, it provides 30 amp models plus effects, can download backing tracks to suit your lead style, bass & drum fills, streams songs , shows what chords are being played and more. Made by a company called Positive Grid. They call this 'a game changer' in the amp world , although reviews have been mixed..not seen one yet..
Vincent

Re: the Spark smart amp...

Postby TimRyland » 19 Apr 2020, 11:32

Positive Grid were the developers of JamUp, one of the first ios amp sims. It was, nearly, a great app. I know Noel Ford used it live and I exchanged messages with him about it quite a lot. It could have replaced all the amps/effects/BT players. BUT, they didn’t listen to their customer base and basically dropped it and went onto Bias and Bias FX. Then they started to wind down their ios apps and concentrated on hardware.

They seem to develop stuff, almost get it right, then move onto something else leaving current users in the lurch.

Strange company that just seems to plough it’s own furrow without really asking the user base what it wants. Reminds me of Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park. To interested in whether they could do it to consider whether they should do it.
TimRyland

Postby dave robinson » 19 Apr 2020, 11:42

Pass :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Vincent » 19 Apr 2020, 12:55

TimRyland wrote:Positive Grid were the developers of JamUp, one of the first ios amp sims. It was, nearly, a great app. I know Noel Ford used it live and I exchanged messages with him about it quite a lot. It could have replaced all the amps/effects/BT players. BUT, they didn’t listen to their customer base and basically dropped it and went onto Bias and Bias FX. Then they started to wind down their ios apps and concentrated on hardware.

They seem to develop stuff, almost get it right, then move onto something else leaving current users in the lurch.

Strange company that just seems to plough it’s own furrow without really asking the user base what it wants. Reminds me of Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park. To interested in whether they could do it to consider whether they should do it.

It says it can work out suitable rhythm backing for your lead playing -any style. whether that's the case is debatable. Also has voice command. I guess with so many not being able to play live, stuck at home, they may be tempted to order one. I couldn't read the article as the magazine was sealed, but GUITAR described it as a 'game changer ' I believe in the US some people have had problems with supply and customer support..
Vincent

Postby anniv 63 » 19 Apr 2020, 17:17

A friend of mine(not a Shadows man) has ordered one direct from the supplier with an
estimated delivery date for May. I hope he is not going to be disappointed!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Postby Iain Purdon » 19 Apr 2020, 18:45

I’ve no idea. But I guess it would come up with something fairly unpredictable, or bland. The chances of it coming up with 3 of the 4 Shadows seem remote to me. Maybe I’ll be proved wrong?
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby Hank2k » 20 Apr 2020, 09:46

I use Bias FX a lot on the PC and Mac and its a great piece of software with a good variety of sounds etc. The Spark does look interesting but having seen some of the reviews of the backing track creation etc its quite bland and wouldn't be any good for doing shadows style backing tracks etc. It would be a fun thing to use at home etc and play around with however.
Hank2k

Return to Gear