Backing Track Gear

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Backing Track Gear

Postby Ian Miller » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:09 pm

Hi All,

I’ve been wondering what gear people use for creating backing tracks. Especially the excellent backings produced by the likes of Peter Korving, Roger Poulsson and Roger Allcock. I’m guessing something along the line of an arranger keyboard like the Yamaha Tyros or BIAB judging by the very nice ensemble of instruments making up the backing tracks. Anyone know?

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Re: Backing Track Gear

Postby nivramarvin » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:33 pm

I create my backing tracks from MIDI files that I can find on the Internet and edit them with software instruments, audio tracks and effects in Logic Pro X on my MacBook. I use the Traktor DJ software on my iPad to play the finished audio files (format .MP3 or .AAC).
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby Olsson » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:02 am

Roger Paulsson use Yamaha drums, on the later BT:s synthetic drums, a Yamaha bass guitar, a Ibanes acoustic guitar and record in Studio one program.

/Bertil
Olsson

Full Real Name: Bertil Olsson

Postby Ian Miller » Sun May 03, 2020 7:29 am

Thanks very much for your replies.

Ian
Ian Miller

Postby scouserjoe2 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:23 pm

Hi,

This is a question I have often asked. I know several members of this forum have used Band In a Box (namely Ecca and Sixchannel) and with some good results from what I have heard. However, what others use I have yet to learn. Given that they are frequent visitors to this forum I was hoping that Roger Allcock, Roger Paulsson or Pete Korving might just have given us an insight into how they work as their tracks are excellent. I too have adapted midi tracks using software instruments and also an arranger keyboard but the learning process can be somewhat lengthy and downloading midi files from the internet is a risky business as many free sites have links to malware within their pages.

Cheers,

Ian
scouserjoe2

Full Real Name: Ian Evans

Postby nivramarvin » Mon May 04, 2020 3:35 pm

scouserjoe2 wrote:--- downloading midi files from the internet is a risky business as many free sites have links to malware within their pages.

That's right, and I wouldn't dare to do that on Windows.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby Ian Miller » Tue May 05, 2020 10:48 am

Hi Ian,

I was also hoping that the two Rogers and Peter Korving would share how they do their backing tracks and what kit they use.
I could probably manage BIAB and an Arranger Keyboard OK, but messing around with midi tracks is not on for me. I get confused enough already! I have quite a bit of experience with keyboards, but don’t have an Arranger version at the moment.

Ian
Ian Miller

Postby rogera » Tue May 05, 2020 11:16 am

In order to make my backing tracks, all instruments (apart from guitar) are voiced using a Roland synthesizer.
The parts for the individual instruments (including drums) are written via a sequencer programme on my pc
and they are then recorded onto a Roland digital multi-track recorder.
Effects may be added to some tracks and then I mix all tracks to form the final recording.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby Ian Miller » Tue May 05, 2020 1:20 pm

Hi Roger,

Thank you very much for the info, it is very much appreciated.

Ian
Ian Miller

Postby Ubique » Thu May 07, 2020 9:42 am

Hi Ian.
I think you are missing a trick by not considering midi files. I make most of my own BT's using them, and if you buy files from a reputable company there are no problems with malware and they are roughly the same price as a good quality commercial BT. However a midi file gives you lots of flexibility such as changing instruments, tempo, key ect.
I use the the VST instruments that are provided with most DAW's plus additional commercial VST instruments.
I also use Band in a Box which uses midi and is an excellent programme.
If you fancy having a go at midi, drop me a PM.
Kind regards.
Stay safe.
Neil
Ubique

Full Real Name: Neil Shaw

Next

Return to Gear