Backing Track Gear

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Backing Track Gear

Postby RayL » Fri May 08, 2020 8:10 am

Not made backing tracks before?
Unless you want your backing track in a different key, tempo or length to the original, then the best starting point is the original track. (This assumes you have multitrack recording facilities).

Record the original track, leaving a few seconds of blank ahead of it to allow for the count-in. To do the count, tapping on the mic head with a pencil will do. Recording the count-in can be a bit tricky (depending on the tune) but you'll get there with a bit of trial and error.

Then play along with the track using guitar, bass, etc. If you have no drums, then keyboards often have drum sounds lurking in them. Record all the percussion items on separate tracks. If you have no keyboard or drums, then cardboard boxes and tin lids are a cheap substitute.

When it comes to the mix, use everything except the original track.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Garystrat » Fri May 08, 2020 11:26 am

Perhaps it’s not so well known that Ableton Live 10 can extract MIDI from files from audio, which can then be fully edited?

There are three methods of extraction, Harmony, Melody and Drums, within the defaults folders instrument styles can be set as defaults.

Below are a couple of videos demonstrating the principals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyBdg_EKWC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOFzSQnt_b0

There are possibly other programs that can do similar things, but I have found that Ableton covers a lot of things that I have an interest in.

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby Vincent » Fri May 08, 2020 12:18 pm

scouserjoe2 wrote:Hi,

This is a question I have often asked. I know several members of this forum have used Band In a Box (namely Ecca and Sixchannel) and with some good results from what I have heard. However, what others use I have yet to learn. Given that they are frequent visitors to this forum I was hoping that Roger Allcock, Roger Paulsson or Pete Korving might just have given us an insight into how they work as their tracks are excellent. I too have adapted midi tracks using software instruments and also an arranger keyboard but the learning process can be somewhat lengthy and downloading midi files from the internet is a risky business as many free sites have links to malware within their pages.

Cheers,

Have you looked at the Spark smart amp ? I mentioned this in another post...
Ian
Vincent

Full Real Name: vincent ludovico

Postby Ian Miller » Fri May 08, 2020 2:06 pm

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your replies.
What started out as more or less curiosity on my part has developed and sparked a renewed interest in producing backing tracks. Way back in the latter part of the 1980’s, before backing tracks as we know them, I made my own using a Yamaha HS multi keyboard. It was the first series of keyboards that had digital AWM & FM voices and percussion. I suppose it was the first of the ‘arranger’ keyboards. You were able to write in real-time and step write. For it’s time it was quite amazing with the variety of sounds and voices from symphonic strings to jazz quartets etc. Sadly, it had to go as divorce etc took it’s toll. When it comes to music, I do like to self create and I am more of a hardware guy rather than software. I had a brief encounter with BIAB in around 2006 when I was given a laptop which had it installed. I did find it quite an easy program to use, but unfortunately the device died after a fairly short time. So, if I should decide to have another go at producing my own, I think I would favour an arranger type of keyboard, something along the lines of a Korg PA300, which seems pretty easy to understand and is quite comprehensive in features, plus it sounds very good!

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby Stu's Dad » Fri May 08, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi Ian,

A friend of mine's recently acquired a Yamaha Tyros 4 and he's knocking out some great BTs on it. I think he got it at a reasonable price because it's been superseded by the Tyros 5, and he said that a lot of people on the Yamaha forums think the 4 is a better instrument.

Cheers,

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby Ian Miller » Sat May 09, 2020 7:07 pm

Hi Len,
Thanks for your reply. Indeed a Tyros is a good possibility, however it would probably have to be 1 or 2, as these are ones in my price range. Being a pensioner, I have to watch the pennies these days. As you say the Tyros 4 is an excellent bit of kit and was superseded by the 5, which now itself been replaced by the Genos. What I like about the Korg PA300, is that it doesn’t seem over complicated, has excellent sounds and will certainly do everything I want and at a reasonable price. The Tyros 1 & 2 are now getting on in years and failures on these can be costly, if you can find the parts! I did miss an opportunity to buy a Tyros 3 for £300 which was all working apart from a faulty display. Ironically, that is the one thing I could have easily got over but it was located in north east, collection only, which was no good for me on the south coast!

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby nivramarvin » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:28 pm

If no MIDI file is available, I create backing tracks using the Smart Tempo Editor in Logic Pro X.

First I import the original into an audio track.
- Open Smart Tempo Editor
- The audio track is analyzed
- Apply region pace to project pace
The actual tempo of the song is now displayed - with all tempo fluctuations (I will remove most of them later).
Create a drummer track that „follows“ the audio track.
What follows now is a lot of manual work: I create an arrangement overview. Then I play the instruments on the basis of the original track.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Previous

Return to Gear