vox vt 100x or bugera infium v22

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

vox vt 100x or bugera infium v22

Postby ovation553 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:04 am

hi again
has anyone any dealings with the vox vt 100x just wondering how good it would for shadow sounds...also thinking of going to a tube amp but the choice is down to money...my choices are the vox ac 4 12 vox ac 10 and the wild card is the bugera infinium v 22 which for the price of £280 ish is very tempting for a valve amp. Reviews on the bugera are pretty good.All opinions welcomed. For me its between the vox vt 100x or the bugera infinium
best regards charlie
ovation553

Full Real Name: charlie wilson

Re: vox vt 100x or bugera infium v22

Postby David Martin » Fri May 15, 2020 4:30 pm

I know nothing of either of these amps. I DO know that not every valve amp will give you the Hank style sounds. Received wisdom here is that a Katana, paired with the right echo device will get you the right sounds for just over £200 for the 50 watt...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby RUSSET » Fri May 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi Charlie,
A friend of mine had the Bugera V22 & it sounded really good. It is a bit like a Vox AC15, but with 22w stated instead of 15w for the Vox. By the way, they are both very loud valve amps. The bonus (apart from the price) with the Bugera is that it has three tone controls , Bass, Mid, Treble, where the Vox has only two. It also has a Presence control, a master volume & a boost switch which the Vox doesn't. It has similar valves to the Vox, & it has that Vox sound in spades. So, for £280 it is a bargain. OK, the Katana is also great value & can do a similar sound, almost. It will also be lighter weight, & probably a lot more reliable than a valve amp, which can break down a lot easier than modern Solid State amps.
But, the Bugera does sound great, & at that price you may like to give it a try.
Hope that is useful.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Stu's Dad » Fri May 15, 2020 9:39 pm

I've got a MkII Katana, and I'm glad I waited to buy one. Using the on board 10 band EQ gets me very close to the Shadows tone, expecially when I go through my Zoom G7 with EFTP. But the Mk II has a new development in a Power Amp in socket on the back. It's a bit like the return on an effects loop, and it goes straight to the power amp, which on the Katana is actually a Class A/B - the first solid state amp to have the same class as a valve amp. If I go through a Joyo ACTone and the Zoom G7 into that I've got the Shadows sound in spades. It's the best sound I've ever had.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby Gruntfuttock » Fri May 15, 2020 11:57 pm

I would also go for the Boss Katana. Most plus points have already been mentioned. With the Boss Sound Studio you can create and save four patches. I use the 100W Head Amp into a 12” Jensen P12 NB speaker. I can save eight patches and use Boss foot peddle to swop between them. The Head Amp also has it’s own 5” speaker which iS great for home use.
I think it’s tempting to go for valves however (for me) there’s always the nagging thought that it might let me down.
Dave.
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby ovation553 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:08 pm

hi
the bugera is stil looking interesting i guess the katana wins hands down.... thanks to all who replied
regards charlie
ovation553

Postby dave robinson » Mon May 18, 2020 11:08 pm

What an unfortunate choice of name 'Bugera' :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Didier » Tue May 19, 2020 9:00 am

I have a friend who have a Bugera V22 and is quite happy with it, but it's not a lightweight amp : 42 lb (19 kg). There has been mixed reviews in the past about its reliability.
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby ovation553 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:26 pm

hi all
glad to see someone still has a sense of humor in this troubled time ..nice one dave!!!! anyway getting back to diddler post I dont suppose you have more info on the reliability bit diddler? There have a few posts on various forums a few have mentioned the valves most of those who have posted said the valves were cheep and didnt sound very good but once replaced with decent tubes changed the whole amp sound for the better....maybe the stock tubes dont last long i dont know it would be nice to get some light on the subject cos its still a good price at £280
best regards charlie
ovation553

Postby RUSSET » Wed May 20, 2020 6:25 am

There you go; lots of opinions on your choices, which is the great value of this website. We all know that Boss is a great, reliable, quality brand with many, many years of experience in making great products for the guitar industry. I believe 'Bugera' are a German company , who happen to manufacture their amps in China/Far East, as are Behringer; famous also for amps & PA products. The best advice would be to try before you buy, but of course in the current situation it is unlikely you will find a guitar store open at present. You can order by mail & try at home, & return if you are not happy , I guess.

Tony.
RUSSET

Next

Return to Gear