Gemini III

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Gemini III

Postby Gruntfuttock » Sat May 23, 2020 11:09 pm

My Gemini 111 is powered by the usual 9v transformer. I think the earlier models were battery powered.
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby dave robinson » Sat May 23, 2020 11:32 pm

Gruntfuttock wrote:My Gemini 111 is powered by the usual 9v transformer. I think the earlier models were battery powered.
Dave

So is mine now it's on my board, but the battery has never needed changing whilst I've had it. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Garystrat » Sun May 24, 2020 6:51 am

Hi Dave,

I have a Gemini III and it has a dual battery and transformer power option, the transformer requirement from the information sheet is as follows:

It is now equipped to accept 9-volt dc from an external power supply unit.

The centre pin MUST be the +ve (positive) connection.

It is essential that a regulated dc power supply is used, rated at no less than 200mA

No warranty is implied nor implemented for connection to incorrect voltages or polarity.

Trying to satisfy this criterial is quite difficult as most pedals require a negative polarity and it may well require an adaptor, I always used it with a battery.

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Sun May 24, 2020 10:29 am

Thanks for the information on the spec sheet Gary. As it happens I'm using a Voodoo Power Block 4x4 to run the pedal board and just needed to use a different cable to the Gemini III from the rest of the effects. I am impressed by the quality of sound and lack of noise with the Power Block. The only pedal that is not hard wired is the Jim Dunlop Cry Baby, as It takes minimal current and the batteries last years, as well as the fact I don't always :? use it so I keep it separate and will add it when needed. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby David Martin » Mon May 25, 2020 9:11 am

Thanks to all the folks that messaged me, I now have a pristine Gemini III and the contact details I needed.

Really grateful... :)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Stratly » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:42 pm

Hi there! I hope you are all safe and well.
I have a Gemini III Bass roll-off filter pedal which I use before a Line 6 amp with the usual emulations. I’m using a 1991 Strat Plus with Lace Gold pickups, and Ross Hall’s Echoes on a Zoom G3.
The results are very acceptable indeed. I actually turn the Bass on the amp up!!! and it gives warm authentic mids, with the Gemini on Stage 1 removing the Bass mud.
(My playing is still pretty poor, but at least the tone is close to ‘that sound’!)
I think a bass roll-off filter like Gemini, Cutting Edge or Ariab or Patrice Bastien’s PB Box is easier to use than a multi band eq pedal.
None of the above four units are currently being manufactured, but you can get a circuit for the Cutting Edge off Charlie Hall and Friends website, I think, and with his permission you could make one purely for your own use. No battery in the Cutting Edge so little chance of frying your kit if you solder it wrong!
Easy to make, apparently.

Incidentally Lace GOLD pickups were supposed to emulate the 50s pickups’ bell like chime and clarity but without noise. They need height adjusting carefully, but then with close attention to amp eq and the aforesaid Bass roll off filter you can get close enough to ‘that sound’ without swapping out pickups. The Lace Gold pickups have never been very highly regarded in Shadows sound circles, or so I understand, but they’re actually not bad at all IMHO, IF you’ve a bucket load of patience with amp eq controls! And you adjust their height correctly. (The Lace site tells all.)
(There are several ‘colours’ of Lace pickups, but the Golds are the ones supposedly most ‘50 ish.)

Stay safe!
Stratly

Full Real Name: Malcolm Peter

Postby David Martin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:50 am

Watch this space... it's possible that Gemini III may be reincarnated... I've tried all the pedals mentioned above. Gemini III is definitely the best....
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Didier » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:16 am

Stratly wrote:I think a bass roll-off filter like Gemini, Cutting Edge or Ariab or Patrice Bastien’s PB Box is easier to use than a multi band eq pedal.
None of the above four units are currently being manufactured,

I confirm than Patrice Bastien has long stopped producing his PB Box.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Stratly » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:49 pm

David Martin wrote:Watch this space... it's possible that Gemini III may be reincarnated... I've tried all the pedals mentioned above. Gemini III is definitely the best....

Hi David,
That’s very good news. I wouldn’t part with my Gemini III.
I made a Cutting Edge years ago, and it worked well, but the Gemini III is better still, and not as susceptible to impedance mismatch. Even so I use(d) both between echo and amp.
Confusingly, there is another pedal by the name Gemini now, as you’ll find if you ‘search’ it. Maybe it needs a new name - and finished in Fiesta Red! Marviniser? Shadower? Sixtylizer? Bassoff?
I offer my suggestions copyright free!
I’m all heart!
Stay safe,
Stratly
Stratly

Full Real Name: Malcolm Peter

Postby SandChannel » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:33 pm

I really hope they are in some type of production some day. They are hen's teeth over here in the States. Also, there is a company called Spaceman making super expensive fuzz pedals called Gemini now and that always comes up in my feed when searching for the original. I totally agree that a new name might be needed - especially if Spaceman decides to get litigious.
Unhindered by talent.
SandChannel

Full Real Name: Michael Foley

PreviousNext

Return to Gear