New guitar?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

New guitar?

Postby Trojun » Tue May 26, 2020 2:12 pm

I told myself I would never buy another guitar, I have enough, but I've just just seen the Fender rarities 50s strat, and I'm tempted, the only thing putting me off is the humbucker, and the price about £2300. I know many won't like it but I think it looks great.
It's demonstrated on the Andertons you tube channel.

Dave
Trojun

Full Real Name: Dave Corner

Re: New guitar?

Postby RUSSET » Tue May 26, 2020 3:04 pm

Hi Dave,
Yes, saw the video this morning. Beautiful Strat, but oh, the price ! Yes, it's gorgeous, but not enough for me to rush out & buy one. Fender are trying to tempt us with overpriced stuff again. The only ones I would buy these days are the basic USA Originals series, but more likely the Mex Vintera series. Those are both quality instruments & actually do sound like 50s/60s guitars. I have the Vintera '50s Tele in Fiesta Red & Maple board, & it looks & plays really good, sounding like one from that era.

Regards, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby paulgshaw » Tue May 26, 2020 4:26 pm

The problem with Fender, and Gibson, is that they both keep trying to reinvent the wheel.....churning out endless variations on what are basically the same guitars that they have been making since the 1950’s......that’s not to say the instruments are no good, far from it, but you do wonder how many times we can be ‘wowed’ with the latest range/s and the sales’ pitch that accompanies them......
paulgshaw

Full Real Name: ....................

Postby anniv 63 » Tue May 26, 2020 5:12 pm

Well i.m.h.o the latest Mexican Vintera range of Fenders are really good. Just before lockdown I
decided on the Jaguar, the build quality, finish , playability and sounds are top notch!!!
Yes Mexico made has gone up in price a bit, but indeed well worth considering at around the£725- £750
level from most on-line larger retailers (Jaguar that is)

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby dave robinson » Tue May 26, 2020 7:29 pm

I found the opposite with the Vintera. I ordered a Jaguar and was really excited about it, but when it came I found it was nothing like the real one that I once owned, there were alterations for the sake of alterations and it didn't sound great either. I went and tried the new Classic Vibe Squier version and it blew it out of the water in every department - at less than half the price.
The current Classic Vibe Strats are some of the best sounding and playing Strats that I've seen and they don't break the bank, same goes for the Teles and I have old USA models of all of them, maple & rosewood. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby bor64 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:48 pm

I saw this demo too of Danish Pete and "The most beautiful Fender we ever played!".
Well taste differ....
There were times nobody wanted a "laminated guitar"now it's sold as a premium....
Gold foil pu's are the bomb these days....in the past they won't touched it with a stick because it was mostly regarded as a inferior or cheaper pu...
Because of some indole-cent with no music skills plays on a "old" sears hokey-stick with gold foils it's kinda holey-grail sales gimmick...
The filter-tron isn't a original....but a humbucker in a "vintage" housing....
The guitar is glossy in a plastic layer and sold for a premium price....
Leo got right the first time...

I'm with Dave about the Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar...better then the MIM for half the price so I bought one in a jiffy.
Did the tie-rap trick under the tremplate and some slide glide on the pivot plate, so no rattle and a very smooth working trem in tune.

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby anniv 63 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:18 am

Dave and Rob, I am most certainly 100% in agreement with you on the Quality and superb
value for money on the Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified ranges of which I have.
My Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster needed a bit of attention on the neck and a Mustang
Bridge fitted, otherwise excellent from new in 2014.
No I decided to go for Mexico on general reviews etc . I got caught out on Lockdown Monday, so
it was delivered with the option to return it if any issues or I was not happy.
So far so good, the Factory set up is fine at present.

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby Stu's Dad » Wed May 27, 2020 1:06 pm

A big vote for the Classic Vibe models from me. I bought a Classic Vibe 50s Strat about six years ago and it's still my go to guitar. When they introduced the Classic Vibe Jaguar last year I ordered one straight away. It's perfect straight out of the box - it even comes with a Mustang bridge now. I'm proud of both guitars.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby RUSSET » Wed May 27, 2020 3:48 pm

I am with you all re. the Squier 'Classic Vibes' & the 'Vintage Modified' series. I bought the F.Red 'Simon Neil' Sign. Strat (Biffy)
when it was first issued about 10-12 years ago. I put a steel block in it & never looked back. I also bought the 50s Tele in Vintage Blonde & the VM Jazzmaster & put the Mustang bridge in it, in the following years. All really great guitars, certainly for the price at the time. Not sure about the current CVs, as I believe they have now moved away from China production & have changed the body wood to Pine ?
I also bought a Mex 'Classic ' series Jaguar in Fiesta Red about 3 years ago just before they suddenly changed them to Vinteras.
It's a beautiful, great guitar, but I don't get enough use out of it these days as I tend to play my favourite Strats & Teles all the time, so I guess it will have to go.
I am very impressed by the new Mex Vinteras , as series, though.

Tony.
Last edited by RUSSET on Thu May 28, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSSET

Postby bor64 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:05 pm

Fender is the culprit of overpricing in the past few years.
When CV started to be to successful and under-snow the entry level Squier and MIM, they had a meeting and they decided to higher prices.
So the CV entered the MIM price bracked, the MIM price braked was bumped up 200/300 and so was the MIA price....
It worked, the lower priced Squiers got sold by the shiploads again and with their profit margin it compensated and override the slightly lesser sales of the CV,MIM and USA at large.

Cheers Rob
Last edited by bor64 on Thu May 28, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Next

Return to Gear