An important mixing question

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: An important mixing question

Postby abel » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:57 pm

Thank Gary,

I just signed up with IMGBB.com
BTW, the link on Connections is very very helpful. Thanks

Hi Folks,
Here are the pictures of my connections:

https://abelka.imgbb.com/albums

I just realized that the BT which is stereo in my Fire Tablet, goes in as mono to the PA
and goes out of the PA as mono, then L/R to Mixer channel, but that still is not stereo I think.

Thank you much for your help.
Abel
abel

Full Real Name: Abel Khineche

Postby Garystrat » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:54 am

Hi Abel.

Thank you for the pictures, please forgive me if I cover basic things you already know just to try and make sure we get it right!

What is going on is that channels 5/6 and 7/8 have been combined so that each pair share a common set of channel strip controls, I assume that you have your Fire Tablet going into 5/6?

For a backing track player with line level output (i.e headphone) I would recommend using the line level input just to the right of channels 7/8 and control output levels on the Fire tablet (these are phono connections, set the volume low initially on the Fire and bring it up to the desired level), in all cases it’s important to observe the correct “phasing” i.e right to right output/input and left to left output/input.

I couldn’t find the specification of the EXT IN on the Zoom camcorder and it’s a little unusual as they say it can provide power (presumably for mic’s). I’m a little cautious about this and it may be worth checking the Zoom manual see if it’s an audio line level input, if so then I would connect this via the line output on the mixer which is right next to the line input connection I described above.

Now we come to guitar amp/chain connection, I’m assuming this is the connection you have going into channels 7/8, but I can’t work from the picture what the connections are?

If you are using some form of modelling amp with stereo output then either channels 5/6 or 7/8 should be fine, all controls need to be flat as the modelling amp provides the EQ etc. you just just use the channel volume. However, if you have just mono output from the amp then you need to use any of the mono mixer channels 1 to 4, you can then pan if you wish to offset the guitar from centre. If your guitar chain output is mono, your problem could well be that it’s only going to either left or right channel.

For monitoring via your PA or headphones use the normal monitoring outputs on the mixer to make the appropriate connection.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby abel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:43 am

Hi Gary,

I should apologize for not knowing the basics of recording. So, you are asking the right questions to a novice audio user.

- Like you pointed out, I should have connected the Fire Tablet directly to the mixer (instead of going from the Tablet to the PA which is mono then to the
mixer).

Here is a picture of the PMXU88BT Mixer: https://ibb.co/mNTDj9F

- Could you please tell me how to connect my Fire Table (1/8" output) directly to the Mixer so that I get the full stereo output of the Tablet? I then will
connect the Mixer to the PA so that I can hear the BT while playing (what would be the best way to go from the Mixer to the PA for monitoring?)

- For the guitar, I am running 2 mono cables from the L/R Line Out on the back of the amp to the 7/8 L/R input of the Mixer. Is there a better way?

- The EXT IN of the Camcorder is a stereo 1/8" Mic input.

Thank you much and sorry for all the questions,
Abel
abel

Postby Garystrat » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:20 am

Hi Abel,

No need to apologise, this sort of thing confuses a lot of people and often they find their own ways of making things work! LOL

I have given you the answer to the connection of the Fire Tablet in the third paragraph, this is the left/right line level phono inputs to the right of of channel inputs 7/8, they are marked “TAPE” and “REC” (these are are line level input/output). The Fire needs to be connected to the “Tape” input side via 3 mm jack to phono lead and the camcorder connected to the “REC” output side, if the camcorder has a separate line in level socket that would be the one to use.

To the far right at the top there is a panel with two XLR connections and two 1/4” jacks, probably best to use the L/R jack outputs to the monitor speakers (this is “MAIN OUT” panel). Alternatively, you could monitor with headphones using the headphone socket to the right, just above the sliders. which also has a volume control. In practice the headphone socket is just another line level out, you can even connect that to the the line in of the PA and it will work!

Just as note for others who may be interested, the XLR connections are sometimes used for powered PA speakers.

The idea behind is in a performance environment you would use the MAIN OUT to go to powered stage monitor speakers, whilst monitoring the levels and balances off stage using headphones.

Regarding the guitar connection what you have should work, you use the panning to set the position of where the guitar is in the mix, lead guitar is normally just off set to the right for Shadows style bands. I would need to know more about the amp and connections to say if this is absolutely right or if there is a better way of doing it. On you photos the L/R leads look different to me and I’m not quite sure whats going on there?

If we are getting close to resolving this and you want more detailed help, you have my Email address and it may be easier to do it that way as I can send you marked up diagrams from your pictures which may make it easier.

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Postby abel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:53 pm

Hi all,

Gary, you probably don't realize it, but this is so helpful to me.

- I am going to connect the Tablet to the TAPE IN and the Camcorder to the REC OUT.
I understand that it will be stereo and I just need to control the level through the Tablet (Oh! I just noticed that the TAPE has a dedicated Volume control
just above the headphones socket).

- I leave the guitar as is, pushing the balance to the right a little bit (not sure if that will work for Swing / Boogie styles too).
The L/R leads at the back of the Amp are just different mono cables.

- I will use the L/R jack outputs to the PA for sound and monitoring.

Thanks so much Gary.

Blessings to all,
Abel
abel

Postby Garystrat » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:35 pm

Hi Abel,

You’re very welcome, I really enjoy your videos and it’s nice to think I may have helped a little.

The last view of you mixer was a great help, you do indeed have an output level control for the “TAPE” input, the legend is a bit small on my screen and I didn’t notice it. You may still find it more convenient to set this slightly higher and use the volume adjustment on the Fire Tablet, if you notice some pro BT gigging artists do this because then everything you need for BT is together on the tablet.

I don’t know what PA you are using, but all you really need is a couple of powered monitors and you are good to go. That was the type of setup we used at the club before getting a Yamaha PA with the power unit in the mixer, trust me that’s a lot lighter to carry around and setup! LOL

Enjoy!

Best regards

Gary
Garystrat

Postby abel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:38 pm

All done Gary.

Out to trial sometimes today.

God Bless all,
Abel
abel

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:57 am

I just make sure the balance between the guitar and track compliments the camera compression. Playing quiet is always better with my Panasonic HC V-100.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby abel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:38 am

Hi All,

You're right Dave, that's what Gary and Stuart were also worried about.

It's the first time I can get the BT in real stereo out of the camcorder.
The guitar also is crystal clear, I would like to just give it a bit more depth.

Thank you all,
Abel
abel

Postby Garystrat » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:17 am

Hi Abel,

By depth do you mean thicken the guitar sound or are you trying to get more presence?

Hi Dave,

You’re absolutely right on keeping the levels lower in a recording situation, -12/18 dB is about right in my experience!

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

PreviousNext

Return to Gear