The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

Postby stagetech » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:22 am

Hi Dave.
Here is my take on it for what its worth. It sounds just like the original to my ears, would I sell everyting to buy one? No. Not because there is anything wrong with the guitar, but because my playing is not of a standard to justify such an expensive instrument. But in your capable hands, it sounds as it should. yes there is the odd note and echo differences, but that is not the guitar. you have even added the odd extra note here and there, is that bad? no.
Hank has said, while they (the shads) appreciate the effort of people to replicate their sound. He believes that should be the starting point, not the end product. That people should bring their own individuality and thus develope their own style, I think you have done this. and Hank would approve.

That said, I would love to sound like Hank. But listen to different recordings of the same tune, any shads tune, but especially Sleepwalk. every recording is different, even today he makes subtle changes to That Sound.

Its a beautiful instrument, beautifully played by someone who will get both the enjoyment and use from it to justify the expense.

Would I like one? Damn right I would. :D Carry on pickin. Ian
stagetech

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Tone wrote:
RUSSET wrote:From the beautiful picture above, the colour looks a bit closer to Fender Torino Red, or maybe Dakota Red from their colour charts. Certainly not what we know as Fiesta Red.

Tony.

Tony

You can't get an accurate impression of the colour from the pictures that have been published. As Ian has said, it is a unique colour based largely on Hank and Bruce's recollection of 34346 in its original state. Having seen one of the guitars I can confirm it certainly isn't Fiesta red because there's no orange in it; nor is it like Dakota Red - I was able to compare the new guitar side by side with a Dakota Red Strat and the new one is not as dark and has a pink hue.

As an aside, I've often wondered how 34346 came to be described as "Flamingo Pink." Despite the arguments over the colour, I don't think it could have looked anything like the colour of a flamingo!

Cheers.

I've just come across, somewhat belatedly, I have to admit, the subject of discussion relating to the colour of the great Strat. The "flamingo pink" description came from Hank himself, supposedly, and was quoted in the paperback The Shadows by Themselves, published back in 1961. I agree, though, that a flamingo is about the last thing I would have associated with the colour of that particular instrument!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby RayL » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:26 am

GoldenStreet wrote:
Tone wrote:
RUSSET wrote: The "flamingo pink" description came from Hank himself, supposedly, and was quoted in the paperback The Shadows by Themselves, published back in 1961.
Bill

And repeated by Hank twenty years later in the BBC radio program It Was In Tune When I Bought It.
"The body was coloured flamingo pink, not an unsubtle red"

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby David Martin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:59 pm

stagetech wrote:Hi Dave.
Here is my take on it for what its worth. It sounds just like the original to my ears, would I sell everyting to buy one? No. Not because there is anything wrong with the guitar, but because my playing is not of a standard to justify such an expensive instrument. But in your capable hands, it sounds as it should. yes there is the odd note and echo differences, but that is not the guitar. you have even added the odd extra note here and there, is that bad? no.
Hank has said, while they (the shads) appreciate the effort of people to replicate their sound. He believes that should be the starting point, not the end product. That people should bring their own individuality and thus develope their own style, I think you have done this. and Hank would approve.

That said, I would love to sound like Hank. But listen to different recordings of the same tune, any shads tune, but especially Sleepwalk. every recording is different, even today he makes subtle changes to That Sound.

Its a beautiful instrument, beautifully played by someone who will get both the enjoyment and use from it to justify the expense.

Would I like one? Damn right I would. :D Carry on pickin. Ian

Thanks for your kind comments... It's a great guitar and I'm happy with it, but was amazed - and not a little bemused - by the negative comments... :?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby David Martin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:09 pm

Tigerdaisy wrote:
Stratstroker wrote:I have been down the road of CS54 pickups, heavy strings, EFTP and Vox heritage AC15 in the search for "that" or "those sounds" and have got reasonably close. But after belatedly listening to DM's soundfiles I have to say that these are the best I have heard. It's all there - the twang on the bass strings and the "quack" on the treble strings, and that quack has to my ears always been the missing piece of the puzzle,
(the chords in Kon-Tiki are absolutely superb). I won't accept arguments from those who can't or won't hear it that it must be a failure of their sound reproduction system because, and let's face it, when you hear an early Shads recording it is instantly recognisable as the sound we are all after whether you hear it being played in a disco, on the most sophisticated hi-fi system or on a cheap car radio or CD player. We anoraks know after just a few notes that we are listening to the original and not a sound-alike clone regardless of what it is being played on! But please note that I am not saying that recording techniques/equipment etc. do not make a difference, just that if the sound is there in the first place it will not be totally lost during the recording and reproduction process. I hope that makes sense!

I would dearly love one of these and would sacrifice all my 5 guitars to own one but at £5000 it will have to remain a (peace!)pipe-dream. I cannot wait to hear some more soundfiles once DM and the other lucky owners have really put it through it's paces!

Al.

Yes, I agree with this post wholeheartedly. I thought the first 3 recordings were plenty sufficient to hear the authenticity of the sound. I thought the sound was excellent and I've been a very close Shadows fan from day one- sufficient for me to be even critical of the Shadows themselves as they themselves gradually lost their original sound.

And for these kind comments too...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Amanda » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:23 pm

How about a "60th Anniversary one in 2019? ;)

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby PaulT » Thu May 17, 2018 9:14 am

Hello fellow CRS owners. Please tell me what strings you use? If your using a wound G are you happy with the volume of the the G string compared to the other strings?
Thank you.
PaulT

Full Real Name: Paul Torrieri

Postby Tigerdaisy » Thu May 17, 2018 10:18 am

GoldenStreet wrote:
Tone wrote:
RUSSET wrote:From the beautiful picture above, the colour looks a bit closer to Fender Torino Red, or maybe Dakota Red from their colour charts. Certainly not what we know as Fiesta Red.

Tony.

Tony

You can't get an accurate impression of the colour from the pictures that have been published. As Ian has said, it is a unique colour based largely on Hank and Bruce's recollection of 34346 in its original state. Having seen one of the guitars I can confirm it certainly isn't Fiesta red because there's no orange in it; nor is it like Dakota Red - I was able to compare the new guitar side by side with a Dakota Red Strat and the new one is not as dark and has a pink hue.

As an aside, I've often wondered how 34346 came to be described as "Flamingo Pink." Despite the arguments over the colour, I don't think it could have looked anything like the colour of a flamingo!

Cheers.

I've just come across, somewhat belatedly, I have to admit, the subject of discussion relating to the colour of the great Strat. The "flamingo pink" description came from Hank himself, supposedly, and was quoted in the paperback The Shadows by Themselves, published back in 1961. I agree, though, that a flamingo is about the last thing I would have associated with the colour of that particular instrument!

Bill

'Pink' is a rather vague term and means nothing. Women tend to call 'magenta' (a cool red with a large blue component) pink. Magenta is a powerful colour, one of the 4 colour printing components, i.e. CYMK (Cyan, Yellow, Magenta & Black) The original Strat was not 'pink' (a red with white added, although some manufacturers are actually spraying some Strats that colour...) The 'flamingo pink' label came from a cool (bluish) red colour with perhaps a slight amount of white added which is how Bruce's Strat looks under certain light compared to Hanks 'red' Strat.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu May 17, 2018 4:11 pm

GoldenStreet wrote: ... I've just come across, somewhat belatedly, I have to admit, the subject of discussion relating to the colour of the great Strat. The "flamingo pink" description came from Hank himself, supposedly, and was quoted in the paperback The Shadows by Themselves, published back in 1961. I agree, though, that a flamingo is about the last thing I would have associated with the colour of that particular instrument!

I have just checked my copy of The Shadows By Themselves and here is the bit that includes the flamingo reference:

Flamingo red quote.jpg
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu May 17, 2018 4:32 pm

... and now I know why there are so many shades of "Fiesta Red"! Here's a collection of flamingoes :D

Flamingo Collage.jpg
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

PreviousNext

Return to Gear