The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The 50th Anniversary Shads Guitar in action

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi all.
On the subject of the three flush pole pieces on the CRS 50th Anniversary Strat, I have just been looking through the Guitarist mag from Oct 2000.
There is a review of the latest version of the American Standard Strat. The main inovation, and I quote Fender, are the vintage spec pickups with a lowered G pole magnet which balances the output on the unwound strings, ie the G, B and E poles are flush with the pickup covers, just like the 50th Srat. Fender call it the custom magnet stagger. So there you go ,you learn something every day.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby s4wgb » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:23 pm

Last edited by s4wgb on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s4wgb

Postby David Martin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:34 pm

My understanding is that, in the end, he used it "as is"...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby s4wgb » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:22 am

Last edited by s4wgb on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s4wgb

Postby s4wgb » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Last edited by s4wgb on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s4wgb

Postby s4wgb » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:25 pm

Last edited by s4wgb on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s4wgb

Postby Tigerdaisy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:00 am

Stratstroker wrote:I have been down the road of CS54 pickups, heavy strings, EFTP and Vox heritage AC15 in the search for "that" or "those sounds" and have got reasonably close. But after belatedly listening to DM's soundfiles I have to say that these are the best I have heard. It's all there - the twang on the bass strings and the "quack" on the treble strings, and that quack has to my ears always been the missing piece of the puzzle,
(the chords in Kon-Tiki are absolutely superb). I won't accept arguments from those who can't or won't hear it that it must be a failure of their sound reproduction system because, and let's face it, when you hear an early Shads recording it is instantly recognisable as the sound we are all after whether you hear it being played in a disco, on the most sophisticated hi-fi system or on a cheap car radio or CD player. We anoraks know after just a few notes that we are listening to the original and not a sound-alike clone regardless of what it is being played on! But please note that I am not saying that recording techniques/equipment etc. do not make a difference, just that if the sound is there in the first place it will not be totally lost during the recording and reproduction process. I hope that makes sense!

I would dearly love one of these and would sacrifice all my 5 guitars to own one but at £5000 it will have to remain a (peace!)pipe-dream. I cannot wait to hear some more soundfiles once DM and the other lucky owners have really put it through it's paces!

Al.

Yes, I agree with this post wholeheartedly. I thought the first 3 recordings were plenty sufficient to hear the authenticity of the sound. I thought the sound was excellent and I've been a very close Shadows fan from day one- sufficient for me to be even critical of the Shadows themselves as they themselves gradually lost their original sound.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby dave robinson » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:35 am

Top for Geoff Alderton.

If you go down thIs thread to *POST 26 you will find David's recordings on this new guitar. 8-)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 am

Having just had a quick look at some of the negative comments on this thread, it's easy to understand how some people can buy all the top guitars, amps and echo machines - particularly echo machines - and fail to get a sound out of them.
WHY ? It's a simple as this, they talk the talk having heard or read about the technical jargon, but just don't know understand what they are listening to - or for, for some there is no hope, some folks just don't hear tone and timbre.
Having listened again eighteen months later, I would insist that the guitar has all of the right tone and timbre of the original, but we perhaps used a little too much echo and studio reverb if anything.
One thing is for sure, when I hear a sound anywhere near as close to this at any of the clubs I visit, I'll be the first to congratulate the guy playing. Thus far I continually hear far too much echo being used , as well as the volume being far too loud - tin hat in place ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby hansaustria » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:54 am

David Martin wrote:And thanks to Dave Robinson, here are the sound files.

Bear in mind these are tiny files so as not to occupy much space... if you want higher fidelity, I've opened up an online storage account... let me know how these sound on your system... Please right click the titles and download rather than stream from the site...

Backing tracks generated by the late Roberto Pistolesi from original Shadows recordings.

KonTiki.wma

Sleepwalk.wma

Wonderful Land.wma

(Subsequent edit: Please bear in mind that these recordings were made the morning following collecting the guitar... no set up, no rehearsals just straight in. Each track has a single drop in - fluffs on Wonderful Land and Sleepwalk, and the first note on KonTiki... there are no clicks to lead into these tracks. Three days later and I've now had a chance to set up my own gear to play the sounds, and this guitar is clearly the real deal... and going back to the sound files again, sure enough they aren't perfect, but I think they demonstrate clearly that CRS'59 has the sound qualities of 34346 in addition to all those other associations that come with it. And it's really good to play. In summary, I'm very pleased I got it, and I hope to share it with one or two folks at Shads clubs as time permits, when members will be able to play it too...)

I did find my "holy grail" (personally) in a 63 Strat with a renewed neck made by a guitar luthier. Sometimes I pkay a lot of Shadows stuff with a friend of
mine ( backingtracks ) at different gigs. I use my Strat - a Digitech 2021 TUBE Guitar preamp and my Zoom RFX 2000. The sound is 1:1 in comparison
with the original CD`s on a stereo homesystem up to a determined loudness level. All the people say " O god ... " sounds great and very near to the Shadows!" I think that my Strat has the sound qualities of 34 346 too. There is no audibly difference! Interesting stuff !

Hans
Last edited by hansaustria on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

PreviousNext

Return to Gear