Axiom Custom Works Bass V1 Strings

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Axiom Custom Works Bass V1 Strings

Postby anniv 63 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:59 pm

Just wondered if anyone has fitted a set to in particular the Squier Bass V1 ?
They are a heavier gauge than the standard 24-84 D'dario's as originally supplied on
this model, so might give improved balance on the bass side possibly?
Have to say that they are roughly priced £15- £20 like the Ddario's so not Bank busting!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Re: Axiom Custom Works Bass V1 Strings

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:42 pm

As you know, Mike, I play bass alongside Ian McCutcheon in “Shazam.” We did Stingray and Scarlett O’Hara at Lakeside 2014 and Ian used a Squier Bass VI. He’s not on this site so I put your question to him. This was his reply:

I have used the D’Adario Bass VI sets mainly and I have made up (very expensively) a set of similar string gauges in Elixir which lasted a lot longer.
My main concern using heavier gauge strings would be the likely effect on the neck relief and general set up. Also where I’m concerned it would make it more difficult to play - but that may just be me!
Where I’m concerned I would prefer to use the D’Adario string gauges
but made up from a set of coated strings that would last much longer.

Hope this helps - Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby anniv 63 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:13 pm

Thanks Iain, and Ian Mc Cutcheon for replies and advice.
Yes I see a potential issue on the neck relief/ tension on the heavier strings.
Personally ,I have found the 24-84 D' Dario as fitted as standard fine and pretty
durable and lasting. quite playable too!!!
I got the Bass V1 second hand from a guy who only managed half way up the Witchita
Linemans pole and gave up!!!!.
My guitar tech friend who used to do final assembly setups at Freshman Guitars East Kilbride,
was equally impressed with the Squier model, not having seen one before.
All it has needed in 4 years is one string change of D'Dario's and a small truss rod adjustment
for the new strings/action.

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby RogerCook » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:09 pm

I put a set of Stringjoys a mine https://www.stringjoy.com/guitarstrings ... ngs-24-90/

I felt they were better than the D'Addarios but I think I would prefer the heavier low E offered in the Axion set. They have had negligible effect on set up.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Razzmataz » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:50 pm

I use La Bella Fender Bass VI Stainless Steel Round Wound (0.026 to 0.095) on my Burns Barracuda. These were designed back in the day for the original Fender Bass VI. They also do a flat wound version but I have not used those. I put them on in August of 2012 and they are still going strong, they are bass strings after all!
I tried the D’Addario strings but found the bass E too “flappy” and on checking D’Addario’s web site back then for information I found that the quoted tension for this string was way below that for the others in the set. I originally used the D’Addarios on my Gretsch double neck guitar, which had a 30” bass VI neck as well as a standard guitar neck, but had the same problem so that is when I switched to the La Bella.
Paul
Razzmataz

Full Real Name: Paul Beard

Return to Gear