Sterling Cutlass SSS

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Sterling Cutlass SSS

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:10 pm

Anyone tried the Sterling by Music Man Cutlass SSS approx £350 ? looks good strat like guitar for the right money.

https://intl.sterlingbymusicman.com/collections/guitars/products/cutlass?variant=31853456851016
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: Sterling Cutlass SSS

Postby Tigerdaisy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:08 am

Yes I owned one, a sunburst version about a year ago, but it's a guitar that never really 'caught on' as you might say. The only query I had with it was the setting up of the term which I was unable to get any useful information- I assume it must have been very similar to the Fender version. The guitar came with the term screwed right down to the body. As I remember the pups weren't too even in volume output. The body was better than the average Fender Strat in that it was very smoothly sanded and finished especially on the horns. Many Strats aren't that well finished in that they are not fully smoothed into a pleasant 'round' and tend to have a harder edge- of course this involves labour costs. I'm thinking particularly about the current best Squier Strat which has the same quite 'square' edges as opposed to nice round and smooth finishing of the Musicman. The Squier is a much better value for money product than the Musicman however.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby petercreasey » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:15 pm

Hi Roger,
I tried a Stirling Cutlass SSS a year or so ago, bought it with the option to return.It is a great guitar, good sounding pickups, positive tremolo a well made instrument.Needed a set up to personal preferences, floating the term, pick up heights Action etc but once done a great sounding guitar. I didn’t keep it as I couldn’t get on with the neck. I like a 9.5 radius and the Cutlass has a 12.5. I kept trying it but couldn’t get to like it.
A friend of mine at York Shads club has one and it was the sound of his that prompted me to try one.
Hope this helps
Take care
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:40 pm

Thanks for feedback Peter and Martin, seems decent guitar overall for price after a setup done to your tastes and whether you like the neck and radius of around 12 " then .
roger bayliss

Postby Tigerdaisy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:33 am

Review of worst to best imports- Stirling comes out very high in the list. https://youtu.be/yYXiyV212ss
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:31 pm

Tigerdaisy wrote:Review of worst to best imports- Stirling comes out very high in the list. https://youtu.be/yYXiyV212ss

Interesting, I tend to agree with some of those findings as well , I have some of them and I would think overall the Sterling Cutlass would be a very good guitar for the money and something a little different. The neck is apparently a soft V too.
roger bayliss

Return to Gear