Telecaster for rock - what is recommended to look at?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Telecaster for rock - what is recommended to look at?

Postby csus » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:35 am

Hi guys
I've come to realize I really like the sound of telecasters for rock. At least I think so :-)
So for a while I've been playing with the thought of looking at some of them to see if I bond. Before I do so, however, I would like to ask in which direction I should go.
I wouldn't spend too much, so Squiers and MIM are in scope, MIA is OUT of scope. But the quality needs to be there - I don't want to fight a guitar that is a bitch to setup, and I want the sound to be good if not great. If I go the used route, I would still not go for the MIA, I'd rather save the additional money.
Having said that, there is a huge palette - hollowbody (thinlines), humbucker neck and/or bridge, single coils, TV Jones fideli'tron pickups, MP90 pickups (P90s?), different permutations of pickups, different body woods, different controls, etc etc... You get the picture.
So I am wondering - for a good tele ROCK tone, is there anything I should avoid - either for playability or tone etc?
Generalization is OK here :-) I want to narrow the field right now to avoid option paralysis in the store. I can always come back and try some others if I don't catch anything I must have.
If you need something to trigger your answer, here is a short list of teles site link that I consider to glance at - based on price, gut feeling and no intelligence whatsoever. Also, I'm a bit leary of humbuckers, as I am concerned that part of the tele mojo is in the regular single coil pickups. Is that way wrong?
csus

Full Real Name: Daniel Woodward

Re: Telecaster for rock - what is recommended to look at?

Postby Stu's Dad » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:21 pm

Squier Classic Vibe series guitars are excellent across the range. If it's not rocky enough for you, just change the pickups. DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan are the best but you will find decent alternatives at a lower price. Or just use an overdrive pedal.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby bor64 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:52 pm

Well Daniel,

I've two tele's and played dozens of all kind.
I settled to a Jerry Donahue Tele MIJ because of it's versatility in sound (5 different) and traditional maple neck.
Just two years ago I came across a tele made by Revelation it's a RTE Custom 3-tone sunburst , with a '58 humbucker at the neck.
I must say it's jack of all trades sound wise and build like custom-shop quality...
A friend of mine own a vintage tele custom with a Fender wide range hb in the neck position...well the RTE blow it out of the water.

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby playitcoolmusic » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:24 pm

I found the Classic Vibe crazy heavy and sold it within weeks, I have a Thinline which is great, the best all round I have played was a Mexican.
playitcoolmusic

Full Real Name: Neil Cowling

Postby dave robinson » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:21 am

The problem is that opinions are like assholes in that everybody has one, albeit different.
The only advice I could offer having owned in excess off over 150 guitars of every type in my career, (I still have 62) would be to make an effort to try them out yourself. That is THE only way.
Regarding makes, models and money, The real deal in my experience has always been the ultimate, but it costs. However, makers such as Vintage, Squier, Revealation and many more are highly recommended and I own some of these and can safely say that they are good for the money and I can easily make my living with them should I choose to do so. The key factor is in the 'set up' which also goes for the top brands.

A perfect example in my case is my Fender USA Deluxe Strat that I bought in 2015, as a loaded body only from Stratosphere in the US. It is Fiesta Red and the date on the neck pocket was mums birthday so I bought it as we had just lost her. I thought I'd find a Deluxe neck somewhere on eBay pretty cheap and intended to get one to make the instrument a fully fledged USA Deluxe that cost new around £1900. For the time being I used a birdseye AAA neck on it from Alan Brason and a '62 rosewood job that I had lying around and it was nice and played OK.
After a few years I had the urge to get the 'right' neck for it and having searched high and low I couldn't find a cheap one anywhere, so I began to look for new ones and they are as high as £689 which is ridiculous. I eventually got a deal at Strings Direct at £267 less than the asking price so I ordered it and fitted it yesterday. The guitar is now all original with a 2015 body and 2019 neck and it feels sublime and plays like a dream, better than it did with the previous necks that I had tried. OK it cost me an extra £422 but the guitar stands me at £1100 in total and it's a beauty and a keeper. In conclusion the moral of the story is that you get what you pay for.

All of that said, I have Strats by Squier, SX, G&L that all sound as good and play nearly as well, all under £300, in fact the SX cost me £80. Food for thought ?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RUSSET » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:19 pm

In concurrence with what Dave says about some of the budget Strats available these days. Yes, we are lucky guys these days & have such a variety to choose from. There are some great basic models to choose from, which you can upgrade to your own preferences. Just don't forget the other half of the equation, which is the amp you are using, which makes all the difference.
And then of course, back to basics. Each individual has his own characteristical way of actually playing, & it's not easy to avoid. We will never be Hank, & nor should we be. Perfect your own style & you will play those tunes well, but in your own way. It's all a compliment to the Shads & the great influence they had on our young lives all those years ago.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby RUSSET » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:59 am

Hi Daniel,
Noting your liking for Teles & your preferred budget restrictions, I could recommend you check out a model I bought last year. It is a Fender Mex Vintera series Tele, & costs in the £700-800 range, depending on which actual model you choose. The Vinteras are a replacement series for the old popular 'Classic' & 'Classic Player' vintage style guitars made in Mexico. OK, they are not as cheap as the excellent Squier Classic Vibe range, but in my opinion they are above what we know as the 'Budget' range guitars, & not far off the quality of the USA made ranges.
There are several versions of the Teles to choose from & I recommend you go & try a few instore.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Tigerdaisy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:09 am

I had a Jerry Donahue tele, but didn't really like it. I think you can have too much choice and if you don't really know what you want you can spend too much time messing with different sounds instead of playing... I've had a few MIM Teles and have really liked them as the choice of three pup selections is good because they are distinctly different to each other and you don't spend time faffing about with subtle sound changes.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby JimN » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:06 pm

RUSSET wrote:Hi Daniel,
...I could recommend you check out a model I bought last year. It is a Fender Mex Vintera series Tele... The Vinteras are a replacement series for the old popular 'Classic' & 'Classic Player' vintage style guitars made in Mexico. OK, they are not as cheap as the excellent Squier Classic Vibe range, but in my opinion they are above what we know as the 'Budget' range guitars, & not far off the quality of the USA made ranges.
Tony.

I agree on the MIM quality. The only Mexican-made guitars I have are a Martin 12-string jumbo (which is phenomenal) and a Cabronita Telecaster I bought s/h earlier this year (just before the world went mad). I also have a USA Telecaster Standard from 2012.

The USA Tele is fitted with the Broadcaster (bridge) and Twisted Tele (neck) pickup whereas the Cabronita has copies of Filtertrons. OK, the electronics are completely different, but in sheer quality, there's nothing to distinguish the MIM and USA guitars. The necks feel and play identically.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby David Martin » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:27 pm

If you want to look at the cheaper option of Vintage (brand) guitars, I can thoroughly recommend buying from Richard's Guitars in Stratford on Avon. All his prices include a strings off setup, and he guarantees that your guitar will play perfectly. He sends anything that can't reach that standard back to the wholesaler...

https://rguitars.co.uk Click "Electric Guitars" and go to page 33 for Vintage Tele's

Just as a matter of interest, I needed a robust Les Paul to use for gigs, not wishing to risk the use of my - very expensive - Custom Shop R0. I bought a Chinese made Tokai from Richard, which he set up to perfection with my choice of strings. (The Tokais have a scarf jointed neck - so much stronger than the Gibson original. It sounds and plays great, and it looks just like the real thing... £459)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Next

Return to Gear