Telecaster for rock - what is recommended to look at?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Telecaster for rock - what is recommended to look at?

Postby RUSSET » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:58 pm

JimN wrote:
RUSSET wrote:Hi Daniel,
...I could recommend you check out a model I bought last year. It is a Fender Mex Vintera series Tele... The Vinteras are a replacement series for the old popular 'Classic' & 'Classic Player' vintage style guitars made in Mexico. OK, they are not as cheap as the excellent Squier Classic Vibe range, but in my opinion they are above what we know as the 'Budget' range guitars, & not far off the quality of the USA made ranges.
Tony.

I agree on the MIM quality. The only Mexican-made guitars I have are a Martin 12-string jumbo (which is phenomenal) and a Cabronita Telecaster I bought s/h earlier this year (just before the world went mad). I also have a USA Telecaster Standard from 2012.

The USA Tele is fitted with the Broadcaster (bridge) and Twisted Tele (neck) pickup whereas the Cabronita has copies of Filtertrons. OK, the electronics are completely different, but in sheer quality, there's nothing to distinguish the MIM and USA guitars. The necks feel and play identically.

Hi Jim,
I agree entirely, which is from my own experience. I have a new Mex 'Player series' (ex. Standard series) Strat which is virtually now the same as the old USA Standard series, apart from one or two differences, & one third of the price. The hardware is as far as I am concerned exactly the same. The upgrades of quality is phenomenal. I also have the old Classic Player 'Baja' tele which has the same pickups as your USA Tele , & a Classic Player 50s Strat with USA CS pickups.
Many USA quality parts on all of these & general high quality manufacture & finishing. The new Vintera series guitars are really a great series of guitars, with improvement in sound & quality from the old 'Classics'.

Tony.
RUSSET

Re: Telecaster for rock - what is recommended to look at?

Postby Tigerdaisy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:17 pm

I can also recommend 'Richards Guitars of Stratford- I've bought a few guitars from him over the years, Gordon Smith and recently a Vintage SA500 semi which was set up very well with no rough fret ends etc.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Previous

Return to Gear